Thread: Proposal for comments for MiXiT 4

once played a seventh chord in a folk song Can't believe it's not butter
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Posts 179
    Rep Power 134217859

Default Re: Proposal for comments for MiXiT 4

I definitely think there is reason to examine our reviewing process. I'm not sure if this is the perfect solution, but I think this is a discussion that we need to have.

Not that I have a better idea.
    Repentant Sinner Flat Earth Society Member
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Posts 1,788
    Rep Power 536871079

I think I can offer some points as I arrived here after all 3 mixits and so viewed them from more of an onlooker who used them to his advantage.

1. What has been created so far on this forum is an absolute mindfield of information and experience and quite frankly has to be the best collection of help I have ever seen anywhere period (and I have been serching).

2. Mixits appear to be getting better in terms of organisation due to a clearer idea of how this is working, after all I don't think there is much like this, in this style, elsewhere on the web.

3. I have learnt the most from taking the older mixits and remixing them from scratch again and again. I remixed mixit2 6 times before I started to get a grip. Sometimes the comments are really useful, I actually like finding out how I might have made some critical errors and this I can see when I compair my mix to others

4. If I get to a point where someone says, ooh, not sure if I like the reverb on there, thats great, but very subjective, wheres if an instument blatently sound harshs and out of contaxt or missing some help to cut it through or someones compressed the living shit outa something and they not made to realise that this aint the way to go, not until you know what you doing it for.....these are funadamental points - errors with their technical understanding of the kit. from a musical perspective its like trying to play Hendrix in your first guitar lesson and missing half the notes, that might be an interpretation, but its just inexperienced!

So my points are a little varied, but to make it into a heirachy of a competition may actually be a waste of time. Musics biggest enemy is competition in my view. I think that those who come here are looking to learn how to control their mix of music (and sound).

My analogy is this.. to liken a mix to the guitar: Anyone can learn to play the guitar, the ones that can play well will get noticed! So lets all worry about at least playing the guitar and I think the better mixes will jump through.

Oh and the point of commenting, I think we can all judge a good mix, we might not be able to judge technical details so well and I don't think you should have to judge if you don't want to in fact I would discourage anyone from judging unless they really feel confident about what they want to say - um... yea I think I went back on myself there but its an open thing I like round here.

This all depends of course just how many are going to apply for mixit 4 as numbers could become scary!
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Owns a kick-start dildo
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location In a little African country do
    Posts 2,358
    Rep Power 536871100

I think having a voting system could help

1. No voting before the submission deadline - not crits either.
    2. You have to review n submissions before your submission will be considered for level promotion
    3. Only x amount of reviews are allowed per song, giving the "other guys" a chance of being reviewed
    4. Moderators will "spot check" a hand full random submissions, to make sure that the masses are not trying to eliminate the competition, so to speak.
    5. Y amount of " best reviews will be promoted to be reviewed by the pros...

Let's get MiXiNG!!!
    A mother-in-law's nightmare Bug Tussle Town Dogcatcher
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,528
    Rep Power 536871110

Hi,

I think MacGregor's idea is the one which is most easily realizable.

2. You have to review n submissions before your submission will be considered for level promotion
    Makes sense and I like it, but someone would have to constantly keep a watch on the reviews participants have given and put them in for being reviewed, if they've reviewed enough. Now that's a sentence with some reviews and sense in it, isn't it ?

4. Moderators will "spot check" a hand full random submissions, to make sure that the masses are not trying to eliminate the competition, so to speak.
    ALERT! The bad word has been written!!!

This is not a competition....see attachment.

Cheers,

Marco
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tannoy; September 20th, 2008 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Attached alert message
    "Here ain't there..." - Unfcknblvbl, June 17th, 2010
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Owns a kick-start dildo
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location In a little African country do
    Posts 2,358
    Rep Power 536871100

ALERT! The bad word has been written!!!

This is not a competition....

Didn't think so... I just know people - and I am from Africa... Here everything is a competition!

Thanks for the reminder!

Quentin