again!
    Astrological sign is "Feces"! Went to eleven and came back to ten
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Location Las Vegas
    Posts 378
    Rep Power 536871047

Default Re: MiX iT! 3d – ChrisJ Belated Crits Everybody

Thanks for the review(s)

I wasn't able to write much more than a couple lines after listening to all the mixes.

nice job!

Listening to that many mixes does something to you...do you agree?

..if music has the ability to effect the masses, then it is far too serious of a tool to be left in the hands of musicians.

gitarted

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=29851784
    Junior assistant coffee maker trainee ACME recording engineer...just add water.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Surrounded by morons
    Posts 850
    Rep Power 536871067

Default Re: ChrisJ Belated Crits Everybody

Insane
    Insightful
    Inciteful

All in the same package!!!

No shit, Chris - that was awesome.

feels like the vocal is doing a duet with the drums, such is Dik's empathy with drum tracks that they feel spotlit and work WITH the vox...
    And picked out something I hadn't even THOUGHT about concerning my approach. I was doing it without even acknowledging it - and in hindsight I realize I do it a LOT. Maybe it's good, maybe bad depending on the material. But the realization that I have that tendency is gold - mixing gold. Can't change what you don't acknowledge and all that.

Thanks for the help and effort!

dik
    once played a seventh chord in a folk song Utterly Superior Cocksmanship
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location UK
    Posts 198
    Rep Power 22767266

Thanks for the commentary Chris - I am so impressed that you managed to get through all these mixes and still take each one artistically for what it was.

Your comments are much appreciated.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Home Skooled
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location NY
    Posts 14
    Rep Power 115

Default Re: ChrisJ Belated Crits Everybody

Wow, chrisj, amazing effort. You must be exhausted; no way in hell could I have listened to--with such a critical ear!--all of these mixes. Thanks for the comments... it's really appreciated.
    President of local Trekkie club. Reprobate
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location the yoo kay
    Posts 915
    Rep Power 536871068

Chris, you are clearly insane.

Honestly, I am sitting here laughing my ass off. I salute you crazy dood. There should be an award made for this herculean effort. You have every right to criticise me for not posting my session, for which I humbly apologise to all for my lazy efforts.

Thank you for your nice comments and thank you for treating not just my effort, but everyone else's too with such an even hand. A true lesson in mix critiquing.

Paulie.
    Joan River's boytoy FBI Agent searching hard-drives
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bellows Falls, Vermont
    Posts 1,470
    Rep Power 536871088

Thanks guys- yeah, I'm exhausted today but it was worth it. I promised I would do this, you know? I did what I said I would, whatever the cost. THAT'S a good thing to imitate. It was even kind of fun, in a sick way. The only thing was, after that many hours, when the mix in question wasn't very striking and different, it became hell to stay focused.

Anybody who wants to return the favor, talk with me on my mix thread on some of the stuff I was doing- I got asked to break down the mix by maybe two people, but by the time I did, everybody had already left. I'm actually very serious in recommending things like anti-distortion (inverse saturation?) which can be done either with Density (free AU) or 'Cyanide'. The great thing is, it sounds AWFUL soloed but you can do things with that which you cannot do with normal mix processes, and it's also the anti-loudness-wars sound, you can give yourself as much space as you want by forcing mix elements to become 'background' this way.

Seriously- I did the same thing Pimp-X did in posting clips of a lot of stems and isolated elements, check it out.

I'm thrilled that I brought to Dik's attention one of his key mix traits, it's great to get awareness and control of something that significant- and it really jumped out at me that it was happening. I guess you could get the mix perfect, and then back the whole drum submix off half a DB and apparently have just the vocal spotlit, but secretly you'd be reinforcing it in this amazingly subtle, effective way...
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Monument, Colorado
    Posts 420
    Rep Power 536871051

Great stuff ChrisJ. Will return the favor soon enough when I have time here.

Fair is fair.

Best man...

Doc
    MONUMENT SOUND

MONUMENT SOUND ON REVERBNATION

Monument Sound Fan Page

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts 30
    Rep Power 121

Annex2- not enough mix notes (you were supposed to post a session file, not just mix notes!)
    ChrisJ: Yeah, I fugged up. Believe it or not, I appreciate your stearn insistance on following the rules. I will get it right next time. BTW: I could not post my Nuendo session file after the fact using the edit function, I guess I waited too long.

Nice job on the other reviews. You are a monster!
    Last edited by annex2; May 18th, 2008 at 08:23 PM.
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Posts 33
    Rep Power 134217850

Default Re: MiX iT! 3d – ChrisJ Crits Everybody

Numb Thumb- We are loud, yes we are. Congested. which for this song isn't out of character. This has more emo oppressiveness than anything yet. I'm digging the handling of the vocal (which has a lot to do with its instrumental backdrop). Yeah, this is dramatic. It didn't have to be distractingly loud and thick and oppressive, but I have to call this one a success because it's just plain more emotional in spite of the mix ugliness.
    Thanks for your crit, ChrisJ and I absolutely applaude your effort to crit everyone's mix. Quite a daunting task, considering the volume of entries. In listening to other mixes, I agree my mix was a touch congested but I'm impressed that you were able to distinguish that I was going for emotion above all else. So I'm happy with the result. Good perception, and kudos for your dilligence in listening to the mixes.

-NT
    Last edited by Charles Dye; May 20th, 2008 at 02:43 AM.
    Hates these rank titles! Ends jokes with… That's what she said
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 207
    Rep Power 536871045

ChrisJ if you like I send you the config file of my Harrison S12 - but I'm not certain if that counts as an info file

Jo

btw IOW my mix was totally OTB
    visit me @ www.studjo.ch
    Join Date Jul 2007
    Posts 1,520
    Rep Power 536871080

nice that you liked my mix chrisj. i can't however say i'm too happy with it especially after hearing some of the amazing mixes a few people did.

Everyone that critiqued or said something about my mix also mentioned the distorted vox in the end, so you're definitely not alone on that. I'm not sure I like it either, i mean I like the distortion/warped feel but I coulda done it better.

The reason why I did it was this:

I felt that the deer is pretty much in self pity/beg - mode for most of the song... Minimum hatred towards the violator, asking for some sympathy. But, at the point where he/she says "over and over you're laughing again" the mood of the song changes drastically (or that was my gut reaction) and the deer's thoughts are more hateful, he/she's directly addressing the shooter "you motherfucker, this is what you are, a piece of shit, and i'm just a story to tell all your friends, aren't you proud?"
    so, i wanted to add some fuck'd-up-ness to that part

yeah
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,470
    Rep Power 536871088

MKZ- actually now that you mention it, I remember the vibe that had and that IS kinda what it was like. You conveyed it.

But just too subtle a point, man- the emotion wasn't enough in the original track to survive you enhancing it in such an obvious way, it just came off as different for the sake of different. Maybe if you'd done it way more subtly? (not a request for a recall and recrit, I'm done! )
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,551
    Rep Power 2500000000

Funny, I seem to have missed my Chris J critique.

Mixerman
    #Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent - A satire of the modern day music business

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 207
    Rep Power 536871045

Funny, I seem to have missed my Chris J critique.

Mixerman
    hehe you are not alone

Jo
    visit me @ www.studjo.ch
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,470
    Rep Power 536871088

Default Re: MiX iT! 3d – ChrisJ Hates Everybody

*ROFL* 'ChrisJ Hates Everybody'??

But you didn't post your mix in the mix posting thread, with the session file included in a zip with a name ending in -_-_iNNfO0O like Charles clearly indicated!

I swear, I'll never try to engage in 'naming convention rules' again, it was a nightmare. But I'm sure as hell going to skip anybody who was like 'yeah crit me! arentyouproud.mp3' with no info file. But this time around I skipped lots of people on the grounds of they didn't follow the instructions.

Anybody who thinks Mixerman NEEDS ME CRITTING HIM needs his head examined. The guy does great work and connects to the purpose of the song, PLUS he's the one who taught ME more about the utter importance of the lead vocal. he should be critting me, not vice versa.

As the owner of the whole frickin site, however, if he means it, I'll come along at this late late date and tack on a crit for him and him alone. Or anyone else I missed who happen to RUN (or mod?) the site I'm posting on- I don't think Charles made a mix at all, but I skipped Kenny too for not being in the mix posting thread I was going through, and he isn't complaining.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,351
    Rep Power 536871117

that was me...
    Facebook | MySpace | eSession

"Digital banjos sound just as bad to me as analog ones." -Pimp-X
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,470
    Rep Power 536871088

If you like, you can give me a regular critpost slot, and always call it that. It's funny as hell

Or hire me for a crit forum where I'm forced to endlessly crit mixes featuring newbies who have purchased all the plugins necessary to BECOME Charles Dye and mix it like a record. Then I'll really hate everybody. And you
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 207
    Rep Power 536871045

But you didn't post your mix in the mix posting thread, with the session file included in a zip with a name ending in -_-_iNNfO0O like Charles clearly indicated!

hmmm I might don't get you correctly (English is not my main language) but you tell me that all guys mixing OTB provided an INFO-file? I wonder what was on that file actually ...

but as I said I might didn't understand you - whatever this thing is over ...
    visit me @ www.studjo.ch
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,470
    Rep Power 536871088

The ones OTB that i included, said upfront that they were OTB, and then proceeded to make a big long post trying to explain everything they did... that's kinda when I knew I was absolutely screwed trying to draw a line between compliance and noncompliance with the event rules...