Join Date Feb 2007
    Location Yellow Submarine
    Posts 605
    Rep Power 536871027

Default Need to ask a dumb question of a computer expert.

OK - this is probably an incredibly stupid question, but, can I use a memory upgrade pair taken out of an (AMD) HP and use it in my PowerMac G5 Dual Processor (April 2005)? Specwise, it seems to be exactly the same but I don't want to screw anything up? Sorry if this is a particularly dumb question.
    You can hear some of my work at http://www.thedubnicks.com - feedback appreciated!

"Think of a creative way around your problem and keep your money in your pocket." - Robert Rodriguez from his "10 Minute Film School" mini-doc on the making of his first, $7000 budget movie, El Mariachi.

"Life is work, and the reward for doing that work is more work. More difficult and beautiful work." - Andrew Wagner, director of "Starting Out In The Evening" from the film's commentary track.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,352
    Rep Power 536871088

Default Re: Need to ask a dumb question of a computer expert.

There are no dumb questions... just dumb people asking them.

*oops* did i type that out loud?
    Facebook | MySpace | eSession

"Digital banjos sound just as bad to me as analog ones." -Pimp-X
    Being Over There Now Millard's long-lost twin Sister
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,580
    Rep Power 536871129

What kind of memory is in the HP now, and what kind of memory is the G5 capable of accepting?
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Owns a kick-start dildo
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location In a little African country do
    Posts 2,360
    Rep Power 536871069

Just be very careful with the smoke. Every memory chip has a perfect little wisp of smoke built in - It's what makes it work. If you connect it incorrectly, or force it into the wrong socket - the smoke will escape, and your chips will not work anymore
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 13,590
    Rep Power 536871463

I believe it should be ok, so long as the socket type is the same.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location West Chester, Ohio
    Posts 1,561
    Rep Power 536871062

Not knowing the exact HP model I can say. But this is what I would do.

Go to one of the online laptop/PC memory places and look up HP machine and see what the part number is. Then lookup your G5 and see if the part number would be the same.
    Tori's Alibi

CAPE III - Team Galactic
    CAPE IV - Team Pantheon
    CAPE V - Team Elemental & Team Milk Carton
    CAPE VI - Team Grapestomper
    CAPE VII - Team Altitude
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Hollywood, FL
    Posts 2,352
    Rep Power 536871088

Just be very careful with the smoke. Every memory chip has a perfect little wisp of smoke built in - It's what makes it work. If you connect it incorrectly, or force it into the wrong socket - the smoke will escape, and your chips will not work anymore
    brilliant... thx for my new sig.
    Facebook | MySpace | eSession

"Digital banjos sound just as bad to me as analog ones." -Pimp-X
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location Yellow Submarine
    Posts 605
    Rep Power 536871027

Not knowing the exact HP model I can say. But this is what I would do.

Go to one of the online laptop/PC memory places and look up HP machine and see what the part number is. Then lookup your G5 and see if the part number would be the same.
    I did this using Crucial, but their product id numbering is a bit odd - the two memory kits that appear on every level to be exactly the same and are the exact same price, but have different product id numbers.

I'll probably call Crucial in the next couple days and just ask. Thanks for the help and sarcasm - I def deserve the latter - it's probably a super basic question, but not having owned anything other than pre-MacIntel Apple machines for years, it's just something that never came up for me.
    You can hear some of my work at http://www.thedubnicks.com - feedback appreciated!

"Think of a creative way around your problem and keep your money in your pocket." - Robert Rodriguez from his "10 Minute Film School" mini-doc on the making of his first, $7000 budget movie, El Mariachi.

"Life is work, and the reward for doing that work is more work. More difficult and beautiful work." - Andrew Wagner, director of "Starting Out In The Evening" from the film's commentary track.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location ██████████
    Posts 6,404
    Rep Power 402653929

Sure but pre-intel macs were still using the same freaking memory chips as the rest of the computer world, mate.
    Gearwire.com Drum Mixing Tutorial: The best way of course is an oscilloscope... but, we don't have that, we don't have that here, so we have to use our ears...
    Join Date Aug 2007
    Posts 110
    Rep Power 301990017

Don't be silly, of course that's now how it works. you see all electronics run on magic smoke, and should any of the magic smoke escape the electronic equipment will cease to work lest it be refilled with more magic smoke.
    Teaboy Audio Recall
    Technology for the luddite
    http://teaboyaudio.com
    Valerie Plame's peroxide Hank William's Chauffeur
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Posts 1,773
    Rep Power 536871049

AS long as it fits it should be fine, it might not boot if the speeds do not match but usually the pins determine the voltage which is really the only thing that can damage the ram, so if it wont fit its not the right voltage and your are safe anyway, just don't force it in.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 9,781
    Rep Power 536871336

Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Owns a kick-start dildo
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location In a little African country do
    Posts 2,360
    Rep Power 536871069

Don't be silly, of course that's now how it works. you see all electronics run on magic smoke, and should any of the magic smoke escape the electronic equipment will cease to work lest it be refilled with more magic smoke.
    I disagree. I have tried to put the smoke back on many occasions, and trust me - it the smoke came out there is no going back... In fact, the harder I tried, the more smoke escaped!
    Join Date Aug 2007
    Posts 110
    Rep Power 301990017

Oh you can't put the smoke back in yourself. You have to send the electronics back so the wizards that live there can re-enchant the equipment with spells.
    Teaboy Audio Recall
    Technology for the luddite
    http://teaboyaudio.com
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location San Francisco
    Posts 80
    Rep Power 402653334

Just remember that while the memory may fit, if it's not fast enough, it can cause a myriad of strange and possibly intermittent errors. G5's seem a bit touchy about this.

Best,
    H
    Valerie Plame's peroxide Hank William's Chauffeur
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Posts 1,773
    Rep Power 536871049

HEY LOOK EVERYONE ITS SOMETHING I KNOW ABOUT - its my damb career and I hate Computers and love music bt i aint gonna go down this road again

However sorry about that.. yes you could get errors if its not fast enough, chances are these errors with be thick and fast as most basic RAM can barely overclock (overclock if you not sure is pushing a componant past its suggested running speed).

If you notice errors after you do the deed i would remove it although you will probably get away with it to start with corruption will eventually set in. Im pretty sure though you'll be lucky if it boots if there is an issue - in which case just remove it.
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Yknee cnut
    Join Date Oct 2007
    Location NYC
    Posts 491
    Rep Power 469762143

the memory for mac G5s is rated at 2.5v

I tried a 2-3-2-6 pc3200 stick based on winbond CH5 ICs rated for 2.6-2.8v, and it would not work in a powermac G5. loosening timings(I think g5 cas latency is 2.5 or 3, not 2) doesn't "help" CH5 or BH5 run at a lower vdimm while it does help tccd.

yes they did use the same memory chips as the rest of the world, but there's lots of different chips. If you could get into the BIOS of a powermac G5 and change the vdimm I am sure this problem would not exist, but you can't...

it's not the speed but rather the 2.5 vdimm that causes issues with some other memory in G5s.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location ██████████
    Posts 6,404
    Rep Power 402653929

sure. but you just need to find 2.5v... not Apple branded iRam Pro.
    Gearwire.com Drum Mixing Tutorial: The best way of course is an oscilloscope... but, we don't have that, we don't have that here, so we have to use our ears...
    The Real Mixerman Spend years studying Twisted Sister's chord structure
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 289
    Rep Power 536871019

Duh, the smoke chips are obviously discontinued for environmental reasons. The newer ones are karma based.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Slippy's codpiece...ewwww.
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Posts 15
    Rep Power 97

Here's your answer,

Go to your closet mac dealer, with your model number of G5. Take a stick or ram if you have to, and get them to replace it with the proper part. Don't fart around with swapping sh&t unless you know what your doing. I would fix it right the first time, if the ram fu^ks up the Mac on their bench , it's their
    problem. Or call your neigbour over to mix your next tune !

I wish I could mix as well as I bullsh&t.

(Burnt out Comp Eng)