Thread: Black Lion Audio - interview by Paul Kavicky

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871119

Default Black Lion Audio - interview by Paul Kavicky

Check out the mixerman radio for this new interview.

Black Lion Audio founder and president Matt Newport is interviewed by Paul Kavicky, our mod here from the live audio forum. This interview is a great one, covering all sorts of topics relating to Black Lion Audio, audio interfaces, computer recording, empowerment of independent musicians, the future of the industry and more.

Check it out. The interview was recorded through a MOTU interface that has been modded by Black Lion Audio. Also, the bumper music used on the front and the back of the interview was provided by Black Lion Audio as original material recorded through Black Lion Audio modded interfaces.

Matt was a hoot to talk to, and the interview is both informative and fun.
    Quantum Psychic Thinks Milli Vanilli is ice cream
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location Los Angeles
    Posts 246
    Rep Power 246403371

Default Re: Black Lion Audio - interview by Paul Kavicky

Excellent interview Pounce. Tks
    20 years from now we’ll look back on the rampant pitch correction done during the 2000’s and say: “What the f*ck were we thinking?” Time Life box sets of the era will feature “un-pitch corrected”, “un-compressed” versions of our favorite songs.
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Oh! "Mock Chicken" joke was about metric system!
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 48
    Rep Power 53051913

Hey, finally sat down and listened to this.

Great discussion. Thanks Pounce!
    Insert pithy quote here:

"..."
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Sentimental Hygenist
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Posts 87
    Rep Power 130

Great interview !
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Home Skooled
    Join Date Jul 2007
    Posts 12
    Rep Power 123

I am enjoying the interview, which I am listening to as I type, and while my 002R is at BLA for an update mod. They do great work, and Matt is a personable guy to hear.

But I do not find quite who to write about this: This is the equivalent of a podcast in audio quality, not anywhere near radio technically. It needs leveling, and smoothing, and I am recording it so i can fix it up for pleasant listening. The words get lost sometimes, as it needs a nice compression done to it.

It seems that ALL podcasts suffer this problem, not smoothly engineered - not to be personally critical, but every podcast I have ever heard would benefit by a final run through the Levelator, a sweet free application that makes podcasts sound more like radio.

Listening to podcasts in the car shows the problems - loud words blast, and others just get lost in the background noise... who can I email to address this problem? I have done thousands of hours of radio interviews, and it is so simple to get the levels smooth and listenable. What are podcasts all so poor in levels? Especially on an audio forum, I find it disappointing and would like to offer some help. It isn't rocket science, just good old radio style engineering that is called for!

Even our local NPR station has nice sounding air but awful podcasts, loud then soft and all over the place.

I'm just trying to help, and can send a corrected version of the interview if I can find out who to talk to!
    edit: Compd version sent to Pounce, no response yet...

Lou Judson, longtime radio engineer. loujudson@mac.com
    Last edited by loujudson; January 29th, 2009 at 06:12 PM.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Home Skooled
    Join Date Jul 2007
    Posts 12
    Rep Power 123

I am enjoying the interview, which I am listening to as I type, and while my 002R is at BLA for an update mod. They do great work, and Matt is a personable guy to hear.

Lou Judson, longtime radio engineer. loujudson@mac.com
    The next day - it seems I can't edit the message. I wish i could take most of it out! It's a great intervew and I apologize for long criticisms. Did send Paul a leveld version of it.

<L>
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871119

i've just gotten back home, yesterday was a travel day. i'll see about getting the compressed one up. it's been a busy few days getting the show out, moving home, and today starts the unpacking and such.

this was recorded to my laptop in an apartment i was renting, and the conversation was pretty casual. so i kept the processing light. i'm ok with a more compressed version if that keeps everyone happy. if i do more of these in a studio situation i can improve the quality of the output. in this case i think it was fine for a casual interview format and anything more formal might have killed the vibe. even though i had light compression on the buss, smashing it more might be the radio approach, which would be appropriate here. i've gotten the file and can get it up on the radio soon.

thanks for the input.
    Join Date Mar 2010
    Location BFAZ, USA
    Posts 1
    Rep Power 92

Excellent interview! I just joined the site like last week and listened to this today. As a BLA customer it's great to hear this and hear Matt talk about BLA. Personally, I don't care if it's processed or compressed or whatever. I just think it's too cool that you posted it.

Features like this are lacking in other forums, so, so far (fwiw) I'm really impressed here. Cheers, Paul!
    "It is like a finger pointing toward the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory." Bruce Lee
    Caveman of Altamira Potential defenestration victim
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Round Rock, Texas
    Posts 703
    Rep Power 536871064

Good interview Paul! Very, very informative!
    crunch

"If I had a nickel for every project that went bad I'd have a bag of nickels. Then I would use that bag of nickels to beat former band members." - blackieC

"I have a well-thought-out plan that carries minimal risk to innocent bystanders"

"REMEMBER: The air NEVER KILLED ANYBODY. It's the ground that kills ya. KEEP THOSE METERS PINNED." - slipperman

Fix your console! AnalogConsole.com Forums
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,812
    Rep Power 2500000000

If I may....

Is not the carpenter's house the one with the leaky roof?

Is not the plumber's house the one with the leaking pipes?

Is not the psychologist's house the one with the manic-depressive children?

Is not the audio production website the one with the dodgy audio quality on interviews?

What's wrong here? Am I in the dark?
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location GVRD
    Posts 429
    Rep Power 92177647

If I may....

Is not the carpenter's house the one with the leaky roof?

Is not the plumber's house the one with the leaking pipes?

Is not the psychologist's house the one with the manic-depressive children?

Is not the audio production website the one with the dodgy audio quality on interviews?

Aaahhh.....
    You must be the electrician.
    Originality is the art of concealing your sources.
    -Anonymous
    London Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft Space Station pet
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location over there, a little to the left..
    Posts 3,274
    Rep Power 470076315

Aaahhh.....
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on little Lord Fauntleroy
    Join Date May 2009
    Location Ottawa
    Posts 74
    Rep Power 536871013

Aaahhh.....
    dwoz, you didn't see that one coming, did you
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,070
    Rep Power 536871210

Worst sound of all time:

Opening address at the 1996 Summer AES conference, Bella Centre. Copenhagen. Denmark.

Despite having all of the major concert sound speaker manufacturers exhibiting their wares in the same building, the opening address was coming out of what appeared to be the guts of a Bell & Howell 16mm projector on a stick...

That might've been acceptable in a small 2' x2' box, but this was a reverberant space of approximately eleventy-billion cubic metres.

The comment overheard the most was "typical".

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman