Thread: My Net Senior Mix - after some help from here

Repentant Sinner Flat Earth Society Member
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Posts 1,788
    Rep Power 536871079

Default My Net Senior Mix - after some help from here

Just trying till kill time before mixit 4

So I worked on Senior

Well I thought I'd post this up. I have had a lot of help and been mixing stuff and have prefered my attitude towards it all lately

There is no automation I just haven't had the time but I have kept it minimal, just using my duende channel strip(which I can use now) and CSR reverb a bit of waves deessor on vocals and thats it.

Twas a slightly hurried effort but then again unless Im getting paid (hey just kidding)

One thing I noticed a lot was when mixing its easy to kill the air, the open feeling in a mix, I tried hard to get trasients to sound and to keep it alive without closing it of into that under a blanket sound.
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Posts 1,788
    Rep Power 536871079

Default Re: My Net Senior Mix - after some help from here

Appologies I have an uploading issue i'll try later
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Posts 1,788
    Rep Power 536871079

Here it is..
    Attached Files
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Posts 1,788
    Rep Power 536871079

ok heres another one with a bit more agression and less harsh sounding guitars
    Attached Files
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Posts 1,788
    Rep Power 536871079

ok this is it no more i promise... I realised the overheads on the drums sort of got lost... guess why!
    Attached Files
    once played a seventh chord in a folk song Can't believe it's not butter
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Posts 179
    Rep Power 134217859

Great job man! I think this is a really solid mix. All of your tones sound great. The guitars sound a little harsh in the mid range a few times, but it's pretty slight. Might just be preference.

The drums and bass sound fantastic. I really like the growl that you've got on the bass. What's on it? Drums sound thick and punchy as well. Really nice work there.

I like the vocal sound and the vocal compression as well.

My only complaint would be a few balance issues. Vocal sounds really loud on verse 1, and perhaps overall. And it seems like there are quite a few things that are poking out every now and then, but I reckon those would reveal themselves if you wait a day and listen again tomorrow, and make slight volume adjustments. There were a few things that you've done that I would class as production changes, perhaps altering the feel a few sections, but they work... so proceed. In fact, I like that you added a bit of openness and air to a few extra places in the song.

Otherwise I think you did a really solid job with this song. The tracking wasn't perfect, but you got some great sounds from it.

I noticed you've made some posts of frustration in the MILAR forum, but it sounds like you've got some solid skill to me. Congrats on a really solid mix.

I'd like to hear a bit about your process and plugin choices.
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Posts 1,788
    Rep Power 536871079

Thanks... I have a few things I'd like to say.

Firstly I have taken stuff so far with this song and decided to replace the drums in this mix. I feel that my final result (attached) might ne to some tastes a bit too much change but to be honest some of what I was wxperimenting with was a selfish endevour to see what exactly I could do and what I couldn't do. Suffice to say I have played it to several others who couldn't tell it was my own mix (which despite some remaining balance issues I am happy to stop there with)

I worked in Reaper, as quite frankly its the only PC Daw I feelis close to pro tools in its features (and I got sick of cubase being bloated).

Anyway heres a few things I noted along the way.

1. I use the SSL duende buss compressor which I feel I am learning to work with finally and it does work!

2. Drums I use drumagog with a neat selection of processed drum samples which in this version I have replaced the snare. Its cheesy but it does give a more interesting kick to the mix. Makes it a bit poppy mind No Parallel compression as the drums are already treated I use a gate to control the decay on the kick and snare. These are fead into CSR's room and plate reverbs. The Overheads are treated with the SSL channel, get rid of lows and crisp out the hi's (they may have been a bit too sparkly in the end, but they work)

3. Bass uses a little bit of charles method, I use the m57 track and added a bit of tube, removed the low end and it just helps it to stand out. The Bsss DI is left untouched just blended underneath for more warmth, and the basscon was my compressed and tape warmed track which is the main pulse of the bass sound

-- Added: I forgot to mention a key part of the bass sound was the use of C4, I find the multiband compressor quite interesting, but on bass if you get down to the 80-250 range you can get more grunt out of it without muddying the mix. Set it as an upward expander, small amount of db (ie 1 or 2) on the gain and range 8db or so and bypass out the low low and the high mid and highs.

4. Vocals. I set my vocals up to be the loudest thing before I did anything else, this was due to myself being concerned that I always loose them in the mix, I figered that at least this was I know when something is killing them. I learnt a neat track that I love to use (and I am sure many of you know it) I find the waves Deessor works great if used twice, once around 3-4k just to control the harshness of the voice and again at the top at around 6-7k on standard settings, can make a vocal sound more creamy if used right.

5. Guitars, here is my hate area, I am learing a lot in this area still, on this mix the guitars are harsh, so I used waves ren eq to just slice of tops and bottoms to desired tastes and then use SSL EQ to poke it through in places. I am actually getting better to sweep and point..

and there are other bits violin etc. I sed reverb to try to give it more depth.

Oh and on this track I will not lie I used waves L2 - but only a little to raise the gain a bit

Since this is the first time I have written up my processes I hope its not a load of rubbish. And I owe a lot to the encouragement to these forums that really have helped me so far, my mind is filled with obsessive ideas, oh and my frustration is turning into a frightening passion.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by strangedays; September 18th, 2008 at 06:02 PM.