Thread: A Late MiX iT 3 For the hell of it

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Home Skooled
    Join Date May 2007
    Posts 11
    Rep Power 124

Default A Late MiX iT 3 For the hell of it

I finally found some time to do a mix of this. It was done ITB with a handful of outboard compressors and a PCM 70: 525 on gtr, LA2A on voc, Distressor on bass, BL40 on rhodes, a Fatso on a drum mult and a GSSL on 2 buss.

I liked Mixerman's mix the best so I used it as a reference and used the VSS3 bright plate to approximate the plate he used.

The session file won't make sense without the outboard, but if there's any interest or comments I'd be happy to discuss further.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brendan; November 16th, 2008 at 02:48 AM.
    Repentant Sinner Flat Earth Society Member
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Posts 1,788
    Rep Power 536871076

Default Re: A Late MiX iT 3 For the hell of it

Inteeresting, I think some of it sounds well balanced but its a little squished in places..

Did you master it?
    Join Date May 2007
    Posts 11
    Rep Power 124

Inteeresting, I think some of it sounds well balanced but its a little squished in places..

Did you master it?
    Hey, strangedays. Thanks for listening.

You know, I listened to it again and realized that the first note of the song, the rhodes, pumped. I should have put a spike before that to settle the compressor.

I actually didn't use much compression except on the bass and rhodes. The rhodes didn't need compression, I just like the way LA3 or BL-40 sounds on piano. It can make it sound like it's floating sometimes. I thought it might support the dreamy, fading away quality of the lyrics.

The bass did need some leveling which is usually the case with rock. I duplicated the DI and crushed it and boosted the lows at like 50 hz. The OG track was uncompressed. I bussed them both to a distressor at 10:1 in opto mode with dist 3 and link enabled. It was compressing around 6db I think. I rode the bass with volume automation especially towards the end of the song. I didn't use the amp track. Just the DI.

I used minimal compression on the rest of the instruments. The stuff was tracked really well. I didn't use much eq at all. The LA2 on the vocal was more for tone than compression. I did lots of riding on the vocal.

Do you mean that the whole mix sounds squished in places? I didn't master it. It's a bounce to disc. I actually only had about 2-3db compression going on the GSSL during the loud sections. I was the same setting that MM used. That's the only setting I usually use for rock. Maybe you're hearing the AC2 plugin that was also on the 2 buss. AC2 is finicky. I set it so it sounded rockin' to me at the loudest section of the song compressing around 2 db, hardly any bias. Maybe I overdid it. It's a matter of taste I guess. I like things to pump a little in aggressive sections. The AC2 definitely can do that.

I did have an Oxford limiter as the last plugin on the 2 buss with the output set to -.03 but there was no limiting activity. Once the mix is pretty far along I'll put the Oxford limiter on. I'll move the input slider up until it's barely limiting and then bring it back down until nothing is happening on the limiting meter. I had the "enhance" set pretty low to around 7 or 10%.
    Last edited by Brendan; November 17th, 2008 at 10:34 PM.
    Repentant Sinner Flat Earth Society Member
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Posts 1,788
    Rep Power 536871076

Year sorry I am being picky, there is definitly something I like about it, its sorra big. I think I was tired when I first listened.

I recon its all that expensive gear you got on it. I am convinced its easier to mix without messing around with all this crap we have to put up with in the box. I have hear a tape mix and just through pushing a mix it takes its own form.

I recon a DAW with just pure saturation running in its digital veins would be a life saver.

Its actually really sweet, its one of the better ones no doubt about it, and its not squashed sorry about that.
    Join Date May 2007
    Posts 11
    Rep Power 124

Thanks for the kind words, strangedays. No worrys about the comments. I expect people would listen critically. That's the nature of the exercise I think.

There's no doubt in my mind that outboard compressors add some character, but you may be overestimating them in this case. These tracks already had lot of analog goodness already happening with them. I think a great totally ITB mix is entirely possible with these tracks.

I might give it a shot with commonly used plugins if I find the time.
    President of local Trekkie club. Reprobate
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location the yoo kay
    Posts 915
    Rep Power 536871067

Nice mix Brendan. One of the best ones I've heard.

I really like what you've done with the low end - very controlled.

The vocal sounds really good too - the LA2A works well there.

As you say, the comp elements are a matter of taste. Erring on the heavy side for me (the rhodes sounds a little confined), but definitely not outside the realms of musicality IMHO.

That's an envious arsenal of outboard you got there. Must get me some!

Nice job.

Paulie.
    Cheers,

Paulie.
    Join Date May 2007
    Posts 11
    Rep Power 124

Thanks for the feedback, Paulie. I agree on the rhodes/compression.

On the low end, with a song like this one I do like to have the kick and bass under control. It makes the rest of the mixing a lot easier, especially if it's taken care of early on, otherwise I could spend forever just trying to set levels and never being satisfied. Once the kick and bass are nailed in place it seems a lot easier to set levels for the other elements and shape them.

I switched between different compressors to see which one had the best vibe for each instrument. The LA2 sounded best to me on the vocal. The original vocal track breaks up a little on a few of the loud notes which I like. I wanted even more of that effect so I used the LA2 to get some more distortion and for the tone, not so much for compression.

I like outboard compressors for vibe especially if the tracks need help but that wasn't the case here. I think I could do a comparable mix of this song with all plugins, maybe even better since I have an idea of a few things I can improve. I'm going to give it a shot soon as I get a break.