Martini Drinker Van Morrison's enunciation coach
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,209
    Rep Power 2500000000

Default CAPE 7 reveal : team Argonauts

TEAM ARGONAUTS
    song : Doesn't Matter by Steve McAllister
    producer : dikledoux

Congratulations for completing CAPE7 successfully !
    Please keep us posted as to your final lineup.

You can hear the song on the CAPE RADIO
    or you can download it here !
    Blonde on Blonde is a record? Calls Soccer Football
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location North of Seattle
    Posts 2,312
    Rep Power 536871118

Default Re: CAPE 7 reveal : team Argonauts

...and right when I was ready to begin, I delight in the the two-fer-one special that I was lucky enough to come upon....scary amount of talent here.

With Dik and Fulcrum you get a smoothness that ya feel all the way down...bass behind the gits is perfectly fit into the glove!

Fit perfectly...that's q's mix for ya.

But two-fer-one...can it get better?

"You don't make music for immortality, you make music for the moment, capturing the sheer joy of being alive on planet Earth... Everybody should live it that way." Ray Manzarek

Junior assistant coffee maker trainee ACME recording engineer...just add water.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Surrounded by morons
    Posts 850
    Rep Power 536871069

Here's my official public thanks-to-my-fellow-argonauts post:

"There may be no golden fleece, but human riches I'll release" - Andy Partridge

Being assigned as the producer for Team Argo, my goal from the start was to pick the best song for our team and then attempt to bring the team's strengths to bear upon presenting that song in the best possible light. Having known Fulcrum and his work from CAPEs past, it occurred to me that his talents could be featured in a prominent role for this song ("Doesn't Matter")to great effect.

I originally did a quick demo with just guitars, bass, drums and vox to get across my general plan for arrangement and energy level. At that point the team began to chime in with their views on this, and it looked like we were all on pretty much the same page. Fulcrum voiced the intent most clearly: "...I'm not getting it, and I'm PISSED that I'm not getting it." He then proceeded to deliver an incredibly inspired Proof of Concept track with piano and vocals. So inspired, in fact, that we used those tracks in the final!

Thanks to Fulcrum for bringing the original intent into sharp focus, and for delivering the most inspired off-the-cuff lyrical hilarity I've heard in a CAPE song yet. Not to mention, the whole hi-speed reprise thing was his idea. Brilliant!

Thanks to Ein Mangfaldig Kar for a bass track that sat in with the song like an old glove. We barely even had to talk about it - he just turned in a couple tracks and that was it. Easy-Peasy.

Thanks to maccool for humoring us, being willing to pick up his telecaster and throw out some awesome tasty parts despite the fact that he signed up for acoustic guitar (which he played on the song as well). He mentioned a couple times how he wasn't sure what he could bring to the song - completely mis-under-estimating himself.

Thanks to Immanuel for putting up with my churlish and smart-assed suggestions and turning in both ride and rythm parts that served the song nicely. Mind you, he did all of this despite the fact that he had a horrendously gruesome toaster accident early on that left most of his fingers charred and crispy. Yet he played on... That magnificent bastard played on (*sniff*).

Thanks especially to qharley for his calm and cool efforts throughout the event. Posting rough mixes, giving out information about tempo-changes and bar locations, handling the FTP hassles... and there's undoubtedly a special place reserved in Rock-n-Roll heaven for simply putting up with me and my endless list of mix notes and revisions.

Lastly, thanks a bajillion to Goes211 for his tireless efforts in general, and specifically for helping us with piano sounds for Fulcrum's parts. I can't express strongly enough how much I appreciate his help in this event and his apparently limitless good-nature over the course of time.

Here's hoping all you Wombats enjoy our rendition of "Doesn't Matter", affectionately re-titled "I Ain't Gettin' It".

dik
    Martini Drinker Van Morrison's enunciation coach
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,209
    Rep Power 2500000000

Fulcrum cannot sing anything without passion.
    That's just who he is.
    I've witnessed the man do it, and it is awe-inspiring.

Great fresh take on this tune, team !
    Thoroughly enjoyable, great job everyone.
    Must be a great day for a certain Steve Mc Allister

So, Fulcrum, we still have that country version of Duran Duran's "Her name is Rio" we MUST record sometime !
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Confused by Rosie O's attraction to Tom Cruise
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Texas
    Posts 466
    Rep Power 536871056

Wow.
    Another interpretation that just swings and has balls. Now I know what it might sound like if The Killer, Jerry Lee hisownself played one of my songs.

Two words: right fucking on

thanks Team

M
    Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871161

Wow.
    Another interpretation that just swings and has balls. Now I know what it might sound like if The Killer, Jerry Lee hisownself played one of my songs.

Two words: right fucking on

thanks Team

M
    As incongruous as it may sound out of the mouth of a progressive maven, Jerry Lee's passionate banging and fuck-you attitude is a constant inspiration to me (if not in my choice of notes then at least in my approach to performance), and indeed it was his hell-bent-for-leather drive that I was trying to capture when I went for the prestissimo reprise of our arrangement. Very glad to know I got in the neighborhood.

My teammates were, to a man, easygoing, focused, and quite professional. The execution they brought to Dik's vision was spot on, straight across the board. You needn't worry about this lot if you find them on your next CAPE team.
    Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871161

So, Fulcrum, we still have that country version of Duran Duran's "Her name is Rio" we MUST record sometime !
    Oh, man, have I been lax on that front. Yes, very soon, sir.

And I am humbled by, and grateful for, your other comments.
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Can't drive 55!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 97
    Rep Power 536871044

Yet another cool and great version of this song But I had to play that piano intro again! Yea!!!
    Best CAPe ever!
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Location Tornado Alley
    Posts 254
    Rep Power 536871037

My first thoughts on this great arrangement were, Billy Joel meets Jerry Lee Lewis.

What a fun ride!

I think I might add this to my iPod.

TB
    We were so poor, if I hadn't been born a boy, I wouldn't have had anything to play with.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,812
    Rep Power 2500000000

Paging Leon Russell.....paging Leon Russell...

dwoz
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
    wardrobe malfunction investigator 329 M/S Hen=Mock Chicken!
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location San Diego
    Posts 35
    Rep Power 453946381

I like it. A very original interpretation.
    CaPE V - Team Elemental
    CaPE 6 - Team Normie
    CaPE 7 - Team Altitude
    CaPE 8 - Team Karma[/SIZE]

"My goodness. Isn't she beautiful? I tell you, when I see her, I feel like a run-down, falling apart old condemned building. With a brand-new flagpole out front!" - Les Paul
    Joan River's boytoy FBI Agent searching hard-drives
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bellows Falls, Vermont
    Posts 1,470
    Rep Power 536871090

No way- very cool, it feels totally live. I defy anybody to walk by a bar that these noises are coming out of, without going in

You just want to start jumping around at the double tempo outro...
    Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Digs Ditches
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Posts 50
    Rep Power 132203453

Absolutely love the intro. The grove is very cool, really moves along.

Opps, wait, there's a outro. Cool just keeps getting better.
    Baeli
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Sentimental Hygenist
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location Mt Horeb, WI
    Posts 89
    Rep Power 324926276

Great work on this one! Great vocals...and the piano just KILLS!!!! Love the groove...good job guys!

Todd in Cheesecurdistan
    --
    ...does this organ make me look fat?
    Yet to knock-up a Spears daughter Unscrupulous Usufructuary
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Hell
    Posts 2,412
    Rep Power 536871120

Fulcrum cannot sing
    I think he's a regular Billy Joel you meany!

Track sounds great!
    Well done all
    SoundBlaster™ Expert Jewish Rapper... Busta Hymen
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On the bright side of life!
    Posts 4,138
    Rep Power 536871178

Great fresh take on this tune, team !
    Thoroughly enjoyable, great job everyone.
    Must be a great day for a certain Steve Mc Allister
    Seconded. I like this VERY much

Is it possible the hear the result? I always loved the vocal harmonies of the chorus

Mac
    Mac

Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
    but how good you are at your worst.

Creating complex solutions is easy.

Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Owns a kick-start dildo
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location In a little African country do
    Posts 2,358
    Rep Power 536871100

Enjoy Re: CAPE 7 reveal : team Argonauts

No way- very cool, it feels totally live.
    That was the exact image I had when the mix happened. I wanted it to sound like we cheated and flew to the bar of the Argonaut hotel and had a bash with some microphones standing about the stage. (now the secret is out... )

Glad you liked it.

It's the first time I had to mix a group that I never met before, and added to that, the first I mixed that largely never met each other.
    Working with the muso's in the room is a very dynamic process, and you actually become a tool of the band to get the sound they want, with a safety net. Not having them in the room...

These guys were just marvellous, and I am going to use this track as an example to the start-up teen bands that I have to deal with sometimes. It took us about a week to do the mix on-line, but in the end the only sounds missing were the cheering, applause and the sounds of the kitchen

This has been such a refreshing experience and I would like to thank the fathers of the CAPE for this. Count me in next time!
    Junior assistant coffee maker trainee ACME recording engineer...just add water.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Surrounded by morons
    Posts 850
    Rep Power 536871069

No way- very cool, it feels totally live.
    From a production perspective, this is the feel I go for more often than not. There's just something that comes across from musicians playing together, and since CAPE doesn't allow for that (and a LOT of "home-studio" projects have the same problem) I'm always looking for the performance that has that energetic, relaxed vibe.

Not to mention Q's hi-lighting of parts in the mix as he did. It gives me the impression of watching a band play, and taking notice of each musician during particular parts.

dik
    Blonde on Blonde is a record? Calls Soccer Football
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location North of Seattle
    Posts 2,312
    Rep Power 536871118

in the end the only sounds missing were the cheering, applause and the sounds of the kitchen
    Amen

"You don't make music for immortality, you make music for the moment, capturing the sheer joy of being alive on planet Earth... Everybody should live it that way." Ray Manzarek

Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Never made a record...music forum mod!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Memphis, USA
    Posts 481
    Rep Power 536871057

Fulcrum cannot sing anything without passion...
    Indeed....always a pleasure to hear Dr.Fulcrum's vox and keys work ........fine job producing this, Dik(and of course, on the drums)....nice job Mac( ) and Immanuel on the guits.....cool to hear Ein/Rog on bass, and nice mix, gharley....very cool version, guys.

-mudcat
    Guitar on Cape teams Intuition, Galactic, Mystic, Homestead, Grapestomper, Milk Carton, Schlampe, Dnafe, Wunderkind, Opus Pocus...

royhowell music