Thread: Monitor shopping sucks ass.

And Then there Were Three Dog Night Group sex therapist
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 4,875
    Rep Power 536871170

Default Re: Monitor shopping sucks ass.

hold the phone.... i just got an offer on some demo stock..... i may be picking up a set of p33's instead next week..... gonna go up and have a listen and see.
    Seems like you'd eventually end with S3A's)))
    Anyway, that was a nice read and sort of advice on how you pick monitors
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    London Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft Space Station pet
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location over there, a little to the left..
    Posts 3,279
    Rep Power 470076282

ok, picked up the p33a's this morning, im currently chilling in front of them listening to some bjork after a bunch of random album listens today. still plenty of listening to go.

the p11's i ordered hadnt arrived when i was at the store today, so i couldnt do an A/B which sucked but that's life. shits just too hectic right now to have waited for them to come in. so i was testing the p33's with a7's as a reference point. not fun. its like apples and llamas.

in saying that, it sort of worried me at first, cause with the p11's vs a7's it was straight forward, the p11's just whooped them.

the p33's were different. sure, they kicked the a7's ass for detail. no surprise there. but between the a7's hyped highs and light bottom, and the p33's reserved highs and big bottom.... it was just annoying and pointless to compare.

for a while i was underwhelmed with the p33s, i thought they seemed a little muddy in the low mids (admittedly though, swapping between them and the a7's was largely responsible for that). but in the end after i listened to a bunch more shit i got the impression that it was more muddy RECORDINGS that was responsible, but no other monitors had really showed it that obviously yet. mixes i damn sure knew were awesome, well, they sounded awesome. but some mixes i THOUGHT sounded awesome, sort of went to shit on the p33's while staying ok on the a7's.

in other news.... the new speaker stands i bought put the p33's about 6 inches below where i want them. fuck. gonna find something good to raise shit with after x-mas i think. not to mention filling them with lead shot or sand.

another surprise, which i dont know what to make of yet. my recent work sounds good on the p33's. i was expecting to go "oh fuck.... what was i thinking?" but it actually came across well. so at first i thought "wow.... are these just making EVERYTHING sound good??", but then i remember how much time i had to spend cross-referencing that shit cause my old monitors sucked so bad, and realised that probably explains why my work didnt make me hang my head in shame haha.

i chucked up an old multitrack and had a solid balance in a matter of a minute or two, that was confidence inspiring. the test will be how shit translates into the outside world though, time will tell on that, i didnt have time to print anything today.

oh, and i dont know whether to give adam a thumbs up or thumbs down for not having stepped controls on these things. the a7's were stepped, and i think the p11's were too, but these arent. i guess its probably more accurate if they arent, provided you arent lazy. but im lazy. stepped controls are way quicker.

more shit to come, im sure. stay tuned.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location ██████████
    Posts 6,404
    Rep Power 402653927

David, try hacksawing 6 inches off the bottom of your chair legs.
    Gearwire.com Drum Mixing Tutorial: The best way of course is an oscilloscope... but, we don't have that, we don't have that here, so we have to use our ears...
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 3,279
    Rep Power 470076282

David, try hacksawing 6 inches off the bottom of your chair legs.
    no go dude, its a swivel chair on wheels. i could happily lose 6 inches off my head though with the project im currently working on

not sure if that would change the imaging too much though
    Let it Be Still My Broken Heart Messner's missing toes
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 5,082
    Rep Power 536871177

There is an Alanis Morisette record that is unlistenable on my Genelecs. Nothing glues. Plainly sucks.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location ██████████
    Posts 6,404
    Rep Power 402653927

There is an Alanis Morisette record that is unlistenable on my Genelecs. Nothing glues. Plainly sucks.
    Hey, that's kind of ironic.

I mean like, Alanis-style ironic. Not actual irony.
    Gearwire.com Drum Mixing Tutorial: The best way of course is an oscilloscope... but, we don't have that, we don't have that here, so we have to use our ears...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location ██████████
    Posts 6,404
    Rep Power 402653927

no go dude, its a swivel chair on wheels. i could happily lose 6 inches off my head though with the project im currently working on

not sure if that would change the imaging too much though
    Well, I have my chair at its lowest height so that my speakers are at the right height in relation to my ears... and so my knees don't wang into my keyboard tray which has my little two octave midi keyboard on it...
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 3,279
    Rep Power 470076282

ok, the getting familiar part is over. im currently mixing my first session on these bad boys. fucking hell...... i think im gonna have a lot more free time on my hands!! it is so easy to pull shit together on these, and shit i missed on the other speakers shows up instantly on these.

flipper sms'd me to say he bought a pair too
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 3,279
    Rep Power 470076282

had these things a while now, and can definitely recommend them. the only problem ive had with them is basically not trusting them enough

i was so used to compensating for other speakers, that ive found myself a few times with mix problems i can hear plainly on the p33's, but i sort of subconsciously think it should be like that to translate properly. then i go check stuff on regular stereos and realise the adams were telling me the truth

so yeah, very cool. i just gotta break my trust issues now haha
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 3,279
    Rep Power 470076282

update. its been about 9 months now and the most amazing thing just happened.

i was listening to one of my favourite records after finishing up a session and i thought to myself "fuck. these speakers sound fucking AMAZING. i never really noticed before".

i know how dumb that would sound to the average person on the street, but you guys probably get my point right? until now i had critically listened to them/the way they sound in the room in order to get used to them. then when i got used to them i was well past the exciting honeymoon period and just took them for granted as a work tool (for which i FUCKING LOVE them by the way ). but tonight i finally reached that plateau of being so comfortable with them that i stopped thinking about what i was hearing and just got completely lost in the enjoyment of the music i love sounding so perfect.

so yeah, i think the final verdict on p33a's is that they straight up fucking rock. i cannot say enough good about them. they make me a better engineer by revealing the details i need to hear to make good choices, and are an absolute pleasure to listen to when youre listening to a good mix (without flattering a bad mix at all by the way, bad mixes sound horrid on these)
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Owns a kick-start dildo
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location In a little African country do
    Posts 2,360
    Rep Power 536871067

the most amazing thing just happened.
    This happened to me about a week after getting my monitors. The first week of intense listening was my first with real studio monitors, and it was a world of shock and wonder, for the first time being able to hear a lot of stuff in the mixes I never even knew existed...

The only problem is that I can only truely enjoy music either behind my monitors, or live - and not PA either. Close proximity. This kinda sucks, but as they say, bread is a bit stale if you are used to cake.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 3,279
    Rep Power 470076282

The only problem is that I can only truely enjoy music either behind my monitors, or live - and not PA either. Close proximity. This kinda sucks, but as they say, bread is a bit stale if you are used to cake.
    I think what you said there sums up why it took me so long to really appreciate these for recreational listening. Years ago I remember being really choosy about what I listened on, not to be a snob, but I just found myself analysing so much that crappy systems would annoy me.

But at some point I was lucky enough to develop an automatic off switch for sonic quality haha. I can chuck on music on damn near anything and not even notice the sound anymore. It could be out of phase speakers distorting like hell with bass boost set to stun and if somebody asks me what I think of the sound I'll actually have to stop and consciously listen cause all I'm paying attention to is the music. But then as soon as I want to work, my brain goes into critical mode again so I can do my job.

So yeah, I think until now when I was listening for enjoyment my brain was always in listen-to-the-music mode and never really clicked over into the sound quality mode. And when I was in sound quality mode I was too conscious of critical listening to just enjoy the music. Tonight I got to experience the in between, which was awesome
    Blonde on Blonde is a record? Calls Football Soccer
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location JHB, RSA
    Posts 2,328
    Rep Power 536871068

Current situation- I had a mishap with a lava lamp and an amp. I took it to get fixed cause I was too lazy to swap out a few damaged transistors on the left channel. Got the amp back yesterday to find the fuckers had charged me $157 (to swap $20 of parts), and had used the wrong parts. Result- unusable amp.

They're fixing it again now, and they better use the right parts.

Anyways, I'm not gonna see it again for a while. And even so, that system is on long term loan anyway cause my old monitors (the b-word) are useless piles of shit which I don't touch except for when I blow up amps with lava lamps.

Long story short, I'm thinking it's time for new monitors. I just went around my town looking and everything and everyone sucks. The local stores suck which makes it hard. Hopefully soon I'll go to the city and get a better range/better conditions but so far here's the story, if anyone has any advice on things to try feel free to chime in.

First up I tried ONE Yamaha HS-50M

I went into this store and asked to try the 50's and 80's cause that's all they had except Behringer and Edirol. So they set up one 50 for me, with a guitar lead and a minijack adaptor cause I had told them I had an iPod with tunes to test with. So with a jack half plugged into the iPod, as long as I held it in place and didn't move or breathe, I could hear half a reference track. Not very helpful.

I must say though, when I hit the mid boost on the speaker I was pretty interested. They sound shit, but shit in that way that you know would translate really well. Like I'd HATE them for my home stereo, but I think they would be great to mix on (provided you have some bigger beasts handy for checking bass). So from my brief test, they interested me.

Unfortunately, given the crappy setup, the radio blaring through a P.A at the back of the room and the morons working in the store (they explained to me all kind of useful shit, even though I didn't ask. What do monitors sound like? "They will all sound like a CD". Huh??!! "If you go for bigger ones like Genelecs or something, they're useless for mixing. They have too much detail for mixing".... etc) I had to give up and leave.

Next up I went to another town with a few stores. One had Fostex and the same Yamaha's, so I bailed. Next place had KRK's, Mackies, Yami's and cheap shit that I ignored. I'm not a snob, but it was obviously junk.

They wouldn't patch in the Yamaha's for me cause they were lazy cunts, which pissed me off and lost them a sale instantly. They did have the Mackie's and the KRK's set up though. HR's/VXT's to be precise. Pass on both. Horrible IMHO. No definition. Plus another moron was showing me them.

Next up I went to a Hi-Fi shop. Mom and Pop type deal, an older couple seemed to be running it and I was told stories of stuff the guy used to sell back in the 70's. Very friendly, very helpful. Spent a bit of time there listening to a few different speakers. Some were very nice LISTENING speakers, but I wouldn't wanna mix on them. Others seemed like they might do what I want. One pair of Yamaha's seemed like potentials though. Very detailed mid-range. Also checked out amps there, and chatted about what else the guy could get in if I wanted. Price wise we're in the same ballpark as "studio" monitors, but it's cool cause there's so much more choice in Hi-Fi.

So anyway, I got a bunch more I wanna check like some A7's and shit, but I'm not yet sure when I will get to do it. I have a sneaking suspicion though that those little Yami's might come out in front. Price isn't really a concern, though that's a bonus with those little things. It was just nice to actually hear what the fuck was going on in the mids as opposed to super flat responses that do NOTHING constructive for mixing music.
    You know, I listened to your radio interview on your website yesterday for shits and giggles and for the record you were completely friendly and congenial. You didn't say fuck once. I didn't for a second think I was listening to the rant-monster that frequents this board. Personally, I think I like your web personality better. Keep up the fucking good work!

Just an observation.

Oh, and as far as monitors go, just buy some K&H's and be done with it.

Cheers
    Originally Posted by Slipperman
    Deny everything and claim it's all "Haas-Moeller and Graffenfrimitz" MICING techniques and CAN'T be removed from the tracks without damaging the stereo field due to the "Von Stauffenberg Effect".
    Pan Music Productions
    http://gregbester.xp3.biz
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 3,279
    Rep Power 470076282

You know, I listened to your radio interview on your website yesterday for shits and giggles and for the record you were completely friendly and congenial. You didn't say fuck once. I didn't for a second think I was listening to the rant-monster that frequents this board. Personally, I think I like your web personality better. Keep up the fucking good work!

Just an observation.

Oh, and as far as monitors go, just buy some K&H's and be done with it.

Cheers
    haha thanks man. yeah what can i say.... the internet is a place i dont take remotely serious, i just let off steam and swap ideas with people and shit. im actually pretty mellow in real life haha.

id love to hear some k&h's one of these days, although for at least the next few years i wont be buying any more monitors
    Blonde on Blonde is a record? Calls Football Soccer
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location JHB, RSA
    Posts 2,328
    Rep Power 536871068

haha thanks man. yeah what can i say.... the internet is a place i dont take remotely serious, i just let off steam and swap ideas with people and shit. im actually pretty mellow in real life haha.

id love to hear some k&h's one of these days, although for at least the next few years i wont be buying any more monitors

I was actually surprised to find out you're Australian (not Kiwi, eh?). Before, I thought for sure you were from New Jersey!

Cheers
    Originally Posted by Slipperman
    Deny everything and claim it's all "Haas-Moeller and Graffenfrimitz" MICING techniques and CAN'T be removed from the tracks without damaging the stereo field due to the "Von Stauffenberg Effect".
    Pan Music Productions
    http://gregbester.xp3.biz
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 3,279
    Rep Power 470076282

I was actually surprised to find out you're Australian (not Kiwi, eh?). Before, I thought for sure you were from New Jersey!

Cheers
    haha