Mixerman Radio Show Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell Radio CAPE The Best of Charles Dye Aadry's and Dwoz's Rotation Station
Mixerman's Diaries
Occupy by when?!?!, it's CAPE 10? I'm not ready!!!!!! Zen & Tao of Producing w/The Saint! Zen & Tao of Producing w/Ken Scott! Zen, The Blood Red Vampire Forum, Mwahahahaha!!!

Go Back   The Womb > The Womb Forums > Zen and the Art of Mixing

Zen and the Art of Mixing Advanced mixing techniques

Old May 19th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Midnight Cowboy Wrangler
Tom Waits for no one

Mo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these parts
Send a message via AIM to Mo Facta
Default Pro Tools certification. Should I do it?

So the soon-to-be wife and I have been discussing moving to Cape Town after we get married. Honestly, both her and I are so sick of this humungous, stinky, and fast becoming passe' city and since it's been tough times lately, we decided if we're going to be poor and miserable, we may as well do it in nicer scenery.

Of course, this means that I'll have to leave my current studio, where I'm quite comfortable, and seek out another down in CT (or set up my own, but that's just a pipe dream for now), but lately the thought has been bothering me less and less because a change is definitely needed. The good news is that they have better studios in Cape Town but the catch is that most of the serious ones utilize PT and I'm a Steinberger. I can get around in PT so give me a couple weeks on it and I'm sure it'll be just as easy but this whole moving scenario has caused me to wonder if maybe getting certified is a good investment.

I'm just feeling like I'm in a bit of a rut in life and need a change of scenery. My rough plan is to get certified, maybe land a job at a studio where I can actually earn more money (imagine that!), and eventually finish my half-finished music degree as well somewhere along the line.

What do you guys think?

Cheers
Pan Music Productions
http://gregbester.xp3.biz
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Little River Band on The Run
Internet Meme

Brendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiations
Send a message via MSN to Brendo Send a message via Yahoo to Brendo Send a message via Skype™ to Brendo
Default Re: Pro Tools certification. Should I do it?

If you're using it for the knowledge that you'll get, a crash course in ProTools if you will, then if you have the money, why not?

If you think the paper will somehow get you more work? I doubt it.
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Martini Drinker
Has oddly webbed toes

Goes211 is infamous around these partsGoes211 is infamous around these partsGoes211 is infamous around these partsGoes211 is infamous around these partsGoes211 is infamous around these partsGoes211 is infamous around these partsGoes211 is infamous around these partsGoes211 is infamous around these partsGoes211 is infamous around these partsGoes211 is infamous around these partsGoes211 is infamous around these parts

It makes it easier to get a foot in the door in some broadcast corporations, less so in studios.
It doesn't mean you're a good engineer (no dig at you here), but it means you know how to operate the beast. Which, in some cases, is a very good start.
If you can and it doesn't cost you an arm & a leg, go for it.
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Midnight Cowboy Wrangler
Tom Waits for no one

Mo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these partsMo Facta is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes211 View Post
It makes it easier to get a foot in the door in some broadcast corporations, less so in studios.
Agreed.

Quote:
It doesn't mean you're a good engineer (no dig at you here), but it means you know how to operate the beast.
Didn't perceive a dig so no worries! Plus, you're right and those are my sentiments exactly.

Quote:
Which, in some cases, is a very good start.
If you can and it doesn't cost you an arm & a leg, go for it.
Yeah, it looks like it'll cost me around R10,000 (About $900) so that's pretty reasonable. I just need to get the wedding out of the way so I can start saving some more money! (Money? What's that?)

Cheers
Pan Music Productions
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:05 AM
goes looking for thin ice to walk on
Can't drive 55!

Mikey MTC currently in negotiationsMikey MTC currently in negotiationsMikey MTC currently in negotiationsMikey MTC currently in negotiationsMikey MTC currently in negotiationsMikey MTC currently in negotiationsMikey MTC currently in negotiationsMikey MTC currently in negotiationsMikey MTC currently in negotiationsMikey MTC currently in negotiationsMikey MTC currently in negotiations

Yes I've got a foot in this camp, so I'm biased, but why not look at some online video tutorial training? Vastly cheaper than what you're looking at now.

As said before, if you need a piece of paper at the other end, then you've got to go via an official sanctioned route. But because you don't need the paper, just get a selection of video courses.

As an audio guy, I've got myself to a pretty decent standard in Final Cut Pro via online tutorials.
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Little River Band on The Run
Internet Meme

Brendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiations
Send a message via MSN to Brendo Send a message via Yahoo to Brendo Send a message via Skype™ to Brendo

Yeah as I said, you're sort of paying for the paper. If you have the cash, then why not - however wifey may not agree

If you just want to learn PT and dont need the paper itself, then find another way. If you think you'll end up doing the PT cert later, do it now instead of paying and paying again.
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Midnight Cowboy Wrangler
Tom Waits for no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey MTC View Post
Yes I've got a foot in this camp, so I'm biased, but why not look at some online video tutorial training? Vastly cheaper than what you're looking at now.

As said before, if you need a piece of paper at the other end, then you've got to go via an official sanctioned route. But because you don't need the paper, just get a selection of video courses.

As an audio guy, I've got myself to a pretty decent standard in Final Cut Pro via online tutorials.
Quote:
Yeah as I said, you're sort of paying for the paper. If you have the cash, then why not - however wifey may not agree

If you just want to learn PT and dont need the paper itself, then find another way. If you think you'll end up doing the PT cert later, do it now instead of paying and paying again.
I see both your points, however, what I'm looking for is the opertunity to utilize a full HD system, which I don't have access to. The problem with just learning Pro Tools on my own is that, 1. I don't have the hardware, which you need to run the software, and 2. I don't get the hands-on experience with a full HD setup, which I want. And I don't want to run out and buy and M-Box either. Something tells me that just by learning through DVDs is not enough as well. I figure if I'm going to learn it, may as well go all the way.

Look, after all is said and done I'm a guy who's learned most of what he's learned on his own and I would like to have some sort of certification behind me. I really feel this is a good one to have. It's not that much money in total and because it's offered in modules, I can do them at my leisure. For part time study it's only one night a week for 3 hours per module and each module runs for 12 weeks. That's pretty easy going if you ask me.

On the contrary, what I'm going to do is start learning PT on a friend's Mbox system to at least get a hold of it. I'm going to go to the college too for a meeting to look at options. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers
Pan Music Productions
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Midnight Cowboy Wrangler
Tom Waits for no one

In my entire career I have never once been asked for proof of certification of any kind, so that's not really why I'm entertaining the idea. Your best resume is your work, I believe, and what a better record of it than a record!

See, the studio that I work at is a humble little studio built into my partners' house. We've done some great records (sorry if that sounds immodest; not my intention) there for both independent and major label artists so the place is definitely a comfortable, easy-going space to record and mix. We don't have the most top-shelf gear but over the years I've made it work and kept our clients happy. I'm actually very happy there overall as it's my little domain/safe zone. The only problem I have with it lately is that I feel like I'm the one in the rut and feel the need to expand.

Since the wifey and I have brought up this idea of moving to Cape Town my mind has been agreeing with and somewhat craving the new beginnings it may hold. It can't hurt to get the certification and plus it'll only further my skills, so why not, right? I just would like to be armed with the knowledge so that I can have the confidence to walk into just about any studio and attack the project with peace of mind and focus on the pertinent issues instead of the software. It'll be a real ego-crusher to get booked for a project and then look like a fool scratching his head as 'computer says no'.

I guess my biggest fear is that I won't have my 'safe zone' any more and want to be sure I can prevail down there. I think that's my main concern.

Cheers

PS. Before anyone asks, 'What if you get work at a studio that uses Logic?', I wanna say I don't know. I've worked on it before and found it, funnily enough, quite logical. The idea of having to know Logic bothers me a lot less, however, than PT.
Pan Music Productions