Mixerman Radio Show Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell Radio CAPE The Best of Charles Dye Aadry's and Dwoz's Rotation Station
Mixerman's Diaries
Occupy by when?!?!, it's CAPE 10? I'm not ready!!!!!! Zen & Tao of Producing w/The Saint! Zen & Tao of Producing w/Ken Scott! Zen, The Blood Red Vampire Forum, Mwahahahaha!!!

Go Back   The Womb > The Womb Forums > Music Industry 2.0

Music Industry 2.0 Business and legal strategies for a new beginning

Old February 25th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Womb Legend!
Expensive Boat Anchor

Bob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these parts
Default Re: What will replace the major labels?

The artists and their financial backers are who ought to be the major players. Unfortunately the internet is a shopping center so the landlord is the one really in control.

I have friends who are experts in network security. They assure me there is no reason making unauthorized files available to the public can't be stopped. It persists with a wink and a nod because piracy improves the landlord's negotiating position while encouraging people to purchase premium priced connectivity.

This isn't about the kids vs. the major labels. It's really about the tech industry vs. writers, actors, producers, musicians, artists, songwriters and everybody else who works in the entertainment industry.
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi
Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!

solidwalnut solidwalnut solidwalnut solidwalnut solidwalnut solidwalnut solidwalnut solidwalnut solidwalnut solidwalnut solidwalnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The artists and their financial backers are who ought to be the major players. Unfortunately the internet is a shopping center so the landlord is the one really in control..
...of the wild public that doesn't even see or care about the revenue streams.

Quote:
I have friends who are experts in network security. They assure me there is no reason making unauthorized files available to the public can't be stopped. It persists with a wink and a nod because piracy improves the landlord's negotiating position while encouraging people to purchase premium priced connectivity.

This isn't about the kids vs. the major labels. It's really about the tech industry vs. writers, actors, producers, musicians, artists, songwriters and everybody else who works in the entertainment industry.
So therein lies the heart of the matter...thanks for that. So even though you and others really don't like the majors, like it or not they've been holding together the revenue streams and now the ISP's are breaking it apart, raping the income from folks who work in the industry.

Is that it in a nutshell?
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Comfortably dumb
Commissioner of Rock and Roll!

vocalnick is infamous around these partsvocalnick is infamous around these partsvocalnick is infamous around these partsvocalnick is infamous around these partsvocalnick is infamous around these partsvocalnick is infamous around these partsvocalnick is infamous around these partsvocalnick is infamous around these partsvocalnick is infamous around these partsvocalnick is infamous around these partsvocalnick is infamous around these parts

Quote:
The "new model" has yet to get a single artist "out there" in ten years! If it had, that artist would be the poster child for the internet.
Jonathan Coulton left his day job in '05, and you could argue he kind of is the poster child for musicians the internet.
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Womb Legend!
Expensive Boat Anchor

Bob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidwalnut View Post
.....So even though you and others really don't like the majors, like it or not they've been holding together the revenue streams
They haven't been holding much of anything together but they are the only ones having enough resources to begin to defend the creative community. And I have no doubt that they'd sell us out in a heartbeat given the opportunity.
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Let it Be Still My Broken Heart
Short-rope candidate

Dave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these parts

Quote:
They haven't been holding much of anything together but they are the only ones having enough resources to begin to defend the creative community. And I have no doubt that they'd sell us out in a heartbeat given the opportunity.
Bob, I agree that pure net publicity/exposure/distribution has yet to rival the old model of nationwide airplay and big label promotion and distribution, but there's another side. If you go on MySpace and go to top artists, then go to various high profile genres, in most cases there are several unsigned artists with page views in the millions (and many more in the hundreds of thousands), and they are usually selling mp3's, sometimes merchandise, and promoting tours from their pages.

This, in its own right, is a form of getting the artists "out there", so its not a zero sum game in favor of the old label model. I don't have any numbers on how much money these independent musicians are making, but they at least have something to work with towards that goal (or so it seems).

------------

Current status: Ignoring everybody on Facebook.
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi
Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!

solidwalnut solidwalnut solidwalnut solidwalnut solidwalnut solidwalnut solidwalnut solidwalnut solidwalnut solidwalnut solidwalnut

Quote:
This is the real bottom line. Thanks for the update.
Old February 26th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Womb Legend!
Expensive Boat Anchor

MySpace is great for follow-up and maintaining relationships with fans but it isn't real exposure by any stretch of the imagination. Most people go to MySpace to see people they already know.

As far as I know street busking is far more effective both in terms of building a following and financially. Selling ten CDs an hour is not uncommon.
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Martini Drinker
Internet Meme

dwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Well, THIS friend of yours who works in network security sez that you ain't getting that without a ground-up rewrite of the TCP-IP stack.

The network knows nothing about a packet except where it came from, where it's going, what size it is, and the random string of bytes contained. A few more housekeeping details. Anything else you deign to tell the network about it is between you and your application-level program.

So the problem is, and with the current internet, always will be, a "social" problem, not a technical problem.

dwoz

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
Old February 26th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Womb Legend!
Expensive Boat Anchor

Certainly files can be passed between individuals however when they become identifiable to anybody searching for them on the web, I'm told that's a very different story.