Mixerman Radio Show Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell Radio CAPE The Best of Charles Dye Aadry's and Dwoz's Rotation Station
Mixerman's Diaries
Occupy by when?!?!, it's CAPE 10? I'm not ready!!!!!! Zen & Tao of Producing w/The Saint! Zen & Tao of Producing w/Ken Scott! Zen, The Blood Red Vampire Forum, Mwahahahaha!!!

Go Back   The Womb > The Womb Forums > Zen and the Art of Mixing

Zen and the Art of Mixing Advanced mixing techniques

Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:46 PM
Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh.
Thinks Maroon 5 is a planet. Pluto too.

hakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiations
Default Mytek ADC96 Clock vs. Black Lion Audio Micro Clock

Hi All,

I don't yet have the Micro Clock, so I cannot perform a field test just yet. But this is the issue... I have a Digi Design 003R+ with the BLA Signature Mod, instead of the internal clock mod the 003R+ because of the increased number of mic pres is fitted with an external BLA Micro Clock for the signature mod.

Now, I also own a Mytek two channel ADC. I have always read that an internal clock is much more efficient to the external clock. And I am wondering whether or not I should slave the Micro Clock to the Mytek or vice-versa and slave the Mytek?

Black Lion Audio wrote,
"If I recall correctly, the Mytek and the Micro Clock actually have similar published specs in terms of jitter (under 10 picoseconds). Our published spec is based on measured jitter at the output, but I don’t know exactly where in the circuit Mytek’s measurement is derived. The phase noise performance sets them apart significantly though, and this is a difference that is quite audible (there are published phase noise specs on our website, something that no other clock manufacturer provides). Add to this the fact that when the 003 is locked externally to the Micro Clock mk2, measured jitter performance at the converter is about 3 picoseconds (it measures exactly the same as our internal clock). There are Bode plots available on the website that show this; click on the Micro Clock mk2 page and scroll down.

Have you heard the A/B clips we tracked using our Signature Series and the Mytek ADC96? They’re also available on our website. Click on the ‘audio’ tab, then click on the ‘signature series’ link. I think you’ll be pretty impressed with the performance of Micro Clock mk2 when compared to the Mytek clock. Try using the Micro Clock mk2 as a master for both units."

However, on their website's FAQ they are asked the opposite question concerning a customer using an external clock and they replied with the seemingly opposite answer. I'm not suggesting there is not enough room here for my pea brain to misunderstand something... but it seems like a bit of double talk... no?
Q - I use a master clock for the 002R through the SPDIF line. Will I notice any improvement if I get the clock modified?

A - Clocking through SPDIF is a very poor means of reclocking, but unfortunately the 002R is limited in that respect. The SPDIF clock data is carried right alongside the audio data, so modulations of clock information can result. What's more, a capacitive SPDIF cable will cause the clock signal to become mis-shapen. Both of these things can contribute to jitter. There is no comparable substitute for a good internal clock. Our 002R clock will give you
far better performance than you'll get from any external master clock.
I'm sure the only way to tell for myself is to listen. Which I should be able to do in a week or so. But, perhaps someone of you have wrestled this issue and come up with some fairly concrete results. If so please share...

Last edited by hakimcallier; June 3rd, 2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Craves piCklEmiLk
Owns a Nappy Headed Hose

Waltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Mytek ADC96 Clock vs. Black Lion Audio Micro Clock

Not familiar with the bla, but I would trust that the Mytek would be a pretty stable house clock through the wc output.
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:37 PM
turns Frailing and clawhammer into erotic art
Suspiciously good at decorating

mixwell currently in negotiationsmixwell currently in negotiationsmixwell currently in negotiationsmixwell currently in negotiationsmixwell currently in negotiationsmixwell currently in negotiationsmixwell currently in negotiationsmixwell currently in negotiationsmixwell currently in negotiationsmixwell currently in negotiationsmixwell currently in negotiations
Send a message via Skype™ to mixwell

Use the clock of your most important ADC on internal.

DSPDoctor

adam@dspdoctor.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gursky though Mixerman's Dreams
There is no latency in heaven
"Any opinions above are worth exactly what you paid for them."
Anonymous

"If I find 10,000 ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.
Thomas Edison
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh.
Thinks Maroon 5 is a planet. Pluto too.

hakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiations

That means the Mytek. thx.

Tags
003r+, black lion audio, digidesign, mytek, word clock