Mixerman Radio Show Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell Radio CAPE The Best of Charles Dye Aadry's and Dwoz's Rotation Station
Mixerman's Diaries
Occupy by when?!?!, it's CAPE 10? I'm not ready!!!!!! Zen & Tao of Producing w/The Saint! Zen & Tao of Producing w/Ken Scott! Zen, The Blood Red Vampire Forum, Mwahahahaha!!!

Go Back   The Womb > The Womb Forums > The Live Music Experience

The Live Music Experience $5 cover charge

Old May 5th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Brigader
Monet, Not Manet!

Comte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these parts
Default Re: digico consoles

I've heard the "you're not even in the Midas sweet spot" (red) dude are yoo stoopid?" before...

"all is indecipherable to him who is not prepared; he can see nothing, read nothing in the interior..."
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Annie Lennox Lewis
Expensive Boat Anchor

John Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comte de St Germain View Post
I've heard the "you're not even in the Midas sweet spot" (red) dude are yoo stoopid?" before...
A dude is a tourist on a horse. Don't call me dude, greenhorn!

(Sorry, too many cows around where I grew up......)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
Old September 12th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Craves piCklEmiLk
Got punched for singing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot"

henry miller currently in negotiationshenry miller currently in negotiationshenry miller currently in negotiationshenry miller currently in negotiationshenry miller currently in negotiationshenry miller currently in negotiationshenry miller currently in negotiationshenry miller currently in negotiationshenry miller currently in negotiationshenry miller currently in negotiationshenry miller currently in negotiations

This seems promising

http://www.digico.biz/waves_soundgrid/index.html
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:32 PM
First Kiss
Wanker

Dave Scott is on a distinguished road

Digico d5 sound crap. The eq doesn't do what it should, the compressors and fx are cheap rubbish. The A to D is really poor.
Add to that it's a pain in the arse to use, but that may be because you're fighting to make it sound good and it just won't do it.
They're made by Soundtrax who could never make a decent analogue console so why would they make a decent digital.
They sound like mp3 through an adat with behringer dynamics and alesis fx.
I don't like digital anyway but at least with a PM5D you have a reasonable basic sound and good quality tools on board. With a soundcraft Vi6 you get their proven track record with mic pre-amps and eq, DBX graphics and lexicon FX.
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Roadside Outcast Dept.
Group sex therapist

Tim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Halligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scott View Post
...DBX graphics and lexicon FX.
Great...

Oh...you think that's a good thing? Sorry dude.

Cheers,
Tim

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Silly Rabbit
Lance's eyebrow

Vonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiations

Digico consoles are the very standar of clasical music and theatre production, and it is a top console for pop, alternative and rock touring. I've seen Foo Fighters, Bjork, The Killers, Peter Gabriel, U2 using Digico.

You could say you don't like it, or you prefere other, but there's no way you can say it sounds bad.

And for WW to know, the main difference between live consoles preamps is THD+3 and dynamic range.

And it is really hard to say A-D are crap.

So, could anybody say that major touring bands are wrong using Digico so easily?
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Buster
Owns two cars on blocks

pounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to pounce

We had an SD8 come through recently. It's a great console.

paul
www.paperstreetaudio.com
Old April 9th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Silly Rabbit
Lance's eyebrow

Vonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiationsVonraddatz currently in negotiations

Excellent.

I think the SDs software is much better than D consoles.

You will love it, specially the way you can set layouts. Very important for theatre.
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi
Home Skooled

Roland Clarke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonraddatz View Post
Digico consoles are the very standar of clasical music and theatre production, and it is a top console for pop, alternative and rock touring. I've seen Foo Fighters, Bjork, The Killers, Peter Gabriel, U2 using Digico.

You could say you don't like it, or you prefere other, but there's no way you can say it sounds bad.

And for WW to know, the main difference between live consoles preamps is THD+3 and dynamic range.

And it is really hard to say A-D are crap.

So, could anybody say that major touring bands are wrong using Digico so easily?
Bjork is well known for using the Avid Dshow, they archive the recordings on Pro-Tools as she has that in her studio. Article here: http://www.avid.com/US/avid-tv/Bjork...adVENUEProfile
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Silly Rabbit
Lance's eyebrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Clarke View Post
Bjork is well known for using the Avid Dshow, they archive the recordings on Pro-Tools as she has that in her studio. Article here: http://www.avid.com/US/avid-tv/Bjork...adVENUEProfile

Hey Roland,

I mentioned those bands not because somebody told they use Digico or for an article, but because I've been there with them.

I saw Bjorks engineers at Lollapalooza Chile 2012 using a SD7 at FOH, a SD8-24 at mon and two SD-racks. All conected by optics.

BTW, The AVID video says it was the 2007 tour.

Cheers
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi
Home Skooled

Roland Clarke is on a distinguished road

Point taken, however, it may well be that they were using the Digico because it was a festival and that was what was provided?

Most top bands have show files for Digidesign, Yamaha, Digico and as has been stated here and in many other forums any decent engineer can get a great sound on any of these desks. Then you start comming down to personal preferences, mine is for the Dshow as it is the one I know the best, I also own it and I like the fact that it's an all in one solution with good enough effects to pull off the show without resorting to racks of outboard.

My experience with the Digico's is more limited, however, I've been able to mix good show's on them, hate the effects, IMHO Alesis Midiverb level, (the inclusion of the Waves effects engine demonstrates that they are aware this has been a problem for them). Yamaha's, always a standby, for me they don't set the world alight, but the effects are useable and they get the job done.

I'd love to really like the Midas, however, it's inclusion of only one band of EQ control available at a time is in my personal view a terrible ergonomic decision.
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Buster
Owns two cars on blocks

pounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these partspounce is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to pounce

I'll be using an Avid Venue this summer, so I'll be better able to chime in after that season.

I can say I was shocked at the quality of the reverbs in the Digico console, and not in a good way. Odd that they got so much other stuff right but really are behind in effects quality.

paul
www.paperstreetaudio.com
Old April 13th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Silly Rabbit
Lance's eyebrow

Quote:
Point taken, however, it may well be that they were using the Digico because it was a festival and that was what was provided?
No, all of them were touring with their own equipment.

Quote:
Most top bands have show files for Digidesign, Yamaha, Digico and as has been stated here and in many other forums any decent engineer can get a great sound on any of these desks. .
Actually, don't; Top bands prepare so hard and spend time and money for their shows they only use the gear they work with. Also, when you are touring you don't have much time for doing a new sound chek.

Quote:
My experience with the Digico's is more limited, however, I've been able to mix good show's on them, hate the effects, IMHO Alesis Midiverb level, (the inclusion of the Waves effects engine demonstrates that they are aware this has been a problem for them).
Sorry, but don't again. Digital consoles are including Waves Soundgrid compatibility becasue Waves develop an excellent and reliable OTB processing using ethernet, and everybody loves Waves plugs.

I can notice there isn't that much info about how top bands work when doing live shows. Probably it would by great to talk about that.
Old September 17th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Voice like Marcel Marceau
Thinks leg warmers are coming back

Burn em currently in negotiationsBurn em currently in negotiationsBurn em currently in negotiationsBurn em currently in negotiationsBurn em currently in negotiationsBurn em currently in negotiationsBurn em currently in negotiationsBurn em currently in negotiationsBurn em currently in negotiationsBurn em currently in negotiationsBurn em currently in negotiations

Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce View Post
I'll be using an Avid Venue this summer, so I'll be better able to chime in after that season.

I can say I was shocked at the quality of the reverbs in the Digico console, and not in a good way. Odd that they got so much other stuff right but really are behind in effects quality.
Discounting reverb and effects, I'd like to hear your thoughts now about the Digico experience etc compared to the Avid boards.

Havn't yet heard a SCAB or Venue or other Avid I liked yet.
Old September 18th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Brigader
Fool's Goldsmith

clicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to clicktrack

Just finished an install at a new 700-seat roadhouse venue where they went with a digico SD9 package.

I haven't driven the thing for a show, but just in the little playing that I did do, I'm impressed with the overall "sound" of the desk.

I'm not a huge fan of the touchscreen interface, but thankfully there are one-touch methods to eliminate the need to do everything on the touchscreen. The touchscreen also has been tuned so that you need a definitive touch to activate any menu. A blessing and a curse. It keeps random windows from popping up if you accidentally lay your hand near the screen. But it also means that to activate any window, you need a fairly firm press...meaning that if you're rushing, it may not catch your first press. Again, not having driven the desk in a show situation, I'm not sure if this is actually an issue or not...

My last reservation despite all the good things is that its windows based. For lots of technical reasons, I've never fully trusted devices that use the real-time windows implementations. Despite that, I have USED many devices that are, but always have a sense of fear in the back of my mind.

Check out Click Track Audio on Facebook
Old September 23rd, 2012, 02:41 PM
Man from Glad understudy
Burma Shaver

TSTW is infamous around these partsTSTW is infamous around these partsTSTW is infamous around these partsTSTW is infamous around these partsTSTW is infamous around these partsTSTW is infamous around these partsTSTW is infamous around these partsTSTW is infamous around these partsTSTW is infamous around these partsTSTW is infamous around these partsTSTW is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonraddatz View Post
and everybody loves Waves plugs.
Nonsense.

I for one dislike the waves bundle for live. I end up dialling in parameters that aren't necessary which causes me to neglect what I'm doing there which is mixing the show!!! Don't get me started on the mouse.

I'm with Jason on this

"do not misconstrue a lack of planning on YOUR part for a crisis on MY part." - Shotgun

www.bowermanstudios.com
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:51 PM
Brigader
Monet, Not Manet!

Comte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these parts

Heh, Waves.

I liked the SD7, SD8 consoles and except for the verbs preferred their sound to Digidesign desks. That said, I would have to use them more to be better at getting around on them.

Then again I still prefer some of the analog consoles that are "sub" rider material.

"all is indecipherable to him who is not prepared; he can see nothing, read nothing in the interior..."
Old October 1st, 2012, 10:27 PM
Womb Legend!
Expensive Boat Anchor

Bob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these parts

It's logical to me that a very low latency reverb probably wouldn't sound very good.
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:33 PM
And Then there Were Three Dog Night
Group sex therapist

meLoCo_go is infamous around these partsmeLoCo_go is infamous around these partsmeLoCo_go is infamous around these partsmeLoCo_go is infamous around these partsmeLoCo_go is infamous around these partsmeLoCo_go is infamous around these partsmeLoCo_go is infamous around these partsmeLoCo_go is infamous around these partsmeLoCo_go is infamous around these partsmeLoCo_go is infamous around these partsmeLoCo_go is infamous around these parts
Send a message via ICQ to meLoCo_go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
It's logical to me that a very low latency reverb probably wouldn't sound very good.
Not necessarily (for example ValhallaRoom runs at zero and is really nice) and you can trade predelay for latency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 03:33 PM
Womb Legend!
Expensive Boat Anchor

Bob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these parts

I understand that comparing a native DAW to a low latency DSP chip based console is a false equivalence.
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson