Mixerman Radio Show Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell Radio CAPE The Best of Charles Dye Aadry's and Dwoz's Rotation Station
Mixerman's Diaries
Occupy by when?!?!, it's CAPE 10? I'm not ready!!!!!! Zen & Tao of Producing w/The Saint! Zen & Tao of Producing w/Ken Scott! Zen, The Blood Red Vampire Forum, Mwahahahaha!!!

Go Back   The Womb > The Womb Network > The Sounding Board

The Sounding Board song and mix critique forum

Old April 14th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi
Has every David Cassidy record!

Dakoom is on a distinguished road
WTF? I need some serious critiques on these mixes

Hey there! Finally my band EP is out and we have online some tracks. They are finished, so I can't touch them right now. But I'd like to have some critiques on how they sound, where do you think they could be improved, where do you find a "bad thing" and so on (I really don't know how to explain the concept.. LOL). I'm asking this becouse this way I can focus on the "bad points" I just left in these mixes.. mhh, when I'll do new mixes.

Here it go! Three songs from Skullmonkeys EP "Slugs":

http://soundcloud.com/skullmonkeysba...nkeys-slugs-ep

Please be as ruthless as possible, I really waht to know where they suck and where they sound good.

PS: If you have also some comments on the songs itself, you're welcome!
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Blonde on Blonde is a record?
Calls Football Soccer

Carlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to Carlo
Default Re: I need some serious critiques on these mixes

Before I do, tell me which one is THE one that has your finger-print on it...

"You don't make music for immortality, you make music for the moment, capturing the sheer joy of being alive on planet Earth... Everybody should live it that way." Ray Manzarek

Old April 14th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Surfing the net at work every day!
Voted for Eisenhower 'cause Lincoln won the war

T.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these parts

First of all, I'd say it sounds good, but IMVVHO, it's far from sounding as good as the material you have could.

It seems like these are static mixes. There's not so much dynamics involved throughout the songs, making it a bit boring to listen.
There's nothing pushing forward, making the listener wanting to listen to the next verse or chorus.

Example : in "River of Doom", the guitars are big, but during the whole song, there's nothing, in contrast that is really "small". So the "bigness" isn't emphasized. IOW, everything is big, so nothing isn't big at all. By the way, I found that for this song, the vocals are weakened due to the use of the effects.

"I wanna say" sounds a bit better to me, due to the nature of the arrangement.

Simply said : for me, there's a lack of real focus and dynamics in these mixes.

But as always, I'm not a pro...

Hope it helps.

T.M.
Old April 14th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi
Has every David Cassidy record!

Dakoom is on a distinguished road

Carlo, I did all the work by myself: recording, mixing and mastering.. for all the songs. I personally prefer I wanna say out of these three works.

T.M., thank you a lot for your suggestions. I surely will take more care on dynamics for the next songs I'll written and/or I will mix.

I'm italian, I am learning english.. so, please, if you see any errors in my grammar or spelling, let me know via PM. Danke!

Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2,66GHz, 3GB RAM, Mac OS Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Logic Pro 9, Alesis IO26, AKG MKII. AKG C214, SHURE PGDMK4, SHURE SM57, SAMSON C01, SHURE SM58