Mixerman Radio Show Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell Radio CAPE The Best of Charles Dye Aadry's and Dwoz's Rotation Station
Mixerman's Diaries
Occupy by when?!?!, it's CAPE 10? I'm not ready!!!!!! Zen & Tao of Producing w/The Saint! Zen & Tao of Producing w/Ken Scott! Zen, The Blood Red Vampire Forum, Mwahahahaha!!!

Go Back   The Womb > The Womb Forums > Womb University

Womb University Recording, Mixing, and Production Made Easy

Old April 18th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joan River's boytoy
Uses 'net to make enemies

MKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these parts
Default Any former or current REASON users here? A couple of Qs

So, I began using Reason back when 2.5 came out. I bought it, fell in love with the ease of use while still realizing the sequencer was pretty limited. Sometime along the way I upgraded to version 3 which got a lot of use. Then, I didn't use Reason for some years, but when I came back to it last year I seemed to remember almost everything I had learned as far as my own work flow and how to get around the user interface.

Last fall I upgraded to Reason 6. A whole lot of new stuff. The interface looks totally different. "Well, I'll figure it out in a heart beat," I thought. However, everytime I get inspired to start something on Reason 6, I just get frustrated as all hell. I have to spend tens of minutes looking for a way to do something I had so quickly learned to do on 2.5 and 3.

Am I just getting dumber with time?

How smooth has your transition from earlier versions to this new version been?

What would be some alternatives in the RTAS world? Particularly for samplers and perhaps drum samplers like ReDrum?
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh.
Prom Queen

Mesmer is infamous around these partsMesmer is infamous around these partsMesmer is infamous around these partsMesmer is infamous around these partsMesmer is infamous around these partsMesmer is infamous around these partsMesmer is infamous around these partsMesmer is infamous around these partsMesmer is infamous around these partsMesmer is infamous around these partsMesmer is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Any former or current REASON users here? A couple of Qs

Live has Simpler and Sampler plus drum racks; rewire into PT and off you go.

Plus there's that digi- I mean AVID Structure which seems a hit with traditional PT users and now Boom which seems close to redrum.

But, stick with it,
Just be patient with yourself man.
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joan River's boytoy
Uses 'net to make enemies

MKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these partsMKZ is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesmer View Post
Live has Simpler and Sampler plus drum racks; rewire into PT and off you go.

Plus there's that digi- I mean AVID Structure which seems a hit with traditional PT users and now Boom which seems close to redrum.

But, stick with it,
Just be patient with yourself man.
Yeah, patience seems to be a virtue for real. Just a couple of minutes after I posted I figured out that a source of some of my frustration seems to be the "regions" (not sure they're called that in reason). I wasn't defining my regions, so the program was doing it for me and that resulted in all sorts of brainfarts.

Does Boom let you use your own samples? I thought I had tried that, but maybe I missed something.

And like all PT users, I do have Structure Free.

I think I'll just have to sit down with Reason and explore how to do different things. Probably shoulda done that months ago.

I just had gotten so used to the earlier versions that all the technicalities were second nature and not in the way at all. But, as with all new things, there's a transitional stage and a learning curve.
Old April 18th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Man from Glad understudy
Burma Shaver

HalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these parts

I'll use Reason (albeit 4) by rewiring it with Cubase. I'll then do the MIDI sequencer stuff on Cubase and send the channels to the synths on Reason.

The Reason sequencer is rather sucky, at least on 4.

Generally though, I'm starting to find that a lot of the instruments are pretty sucky too lately.

Ableton seems a lot simpler and better from what I have heard from others.

Cape 7 Team Mindbenders - Lead Vox