Mixerman Radio Show Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell Radio CAPE The Best of Charles Dye Aadry's and Dwoz's Rotation Station
Mixerman's Diaries
Occupy by when?!?!, it's CAPE 10? I'm not ready!!!!!! Zen & Tao of Producing w/The Saint! Zen & Tao of Producing w/Ken Scott! Zen, The Blood Red Vampire Forum, Mwahahahaha!!!

Go Back   The Womb > The Womb Forums > Womb University

Womb University Recording, Mixing, and Production Made Easy

Old April 16th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Brigader
Monet, Not Manet!

Comte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Are good hardware compressors more powerful than plugins

For those of us who cut our teeth in real rooms, with real gear, with real bands there is a big understanding on where all the vitriol comes from towards plugs.

Still my reality is very different from my past reality and I make it work.

I'm going to give a specific couple of instances where I've chosen one over the other for good reason:

1. I was trying to get a vocal to sit, it needed a clean gain reduction that the trakker can do while sitting on its hands. The stuff was already in the box and i ran out to the trakker thinking i was going to get what i wanted, it didn't happen the way my minds eye saw it going down, i tried an 1176, that didn't fly (too much grip) so i backpedaled and pulled up a Sonalksis MK2 Compressor and it gave me exactly what i wanted, like the trakker but with just the right amount of color in that range i was trying to control.

2. The next record, too much nasal shit going on, everything in the box was missing the mark, out to the trakker into the distressor with a hint of 550a and we've got what we need. The Trakker alone was too clean and the Distressor alone brought too much grind to the upper mids. Guess where the EQ went?

I do find that MOST plugs break down after a point. I still think this has to do with the bit depth and where anything over -6db in digital starts to erode.

"all is indecipherable to him who is not prepared; he can see nothing, read nothing in the interior..."
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Brigader
Expensive Boat Anchor

otek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perry View Post
otek, what choice, specifically, are you referring to when you say "informed"?
Anything involving a choice between hardware and software to perform a certain task. Sometimes this choice can be forced upon you by circumstances beyond your control. Sometimes it is voluntary.

What I take issue with, and what started this whole discussion, is when people perpetuate some sort of fantasy about what great hardware does and doesn't do. That's all.

Not that there aren't some strange motivations for going with either alternative. Many of them, as ugly as it sounds, stem from either laziness, ignorance or indifference.

Though there are other reasons, as well. I said a few seconds ago, these choices can be forced upon you. Such has been my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comte de St Germain View Post
For those of us who cut our teeth in real rooms, with real gear, with real bands there is a big understanding on where all the vitriol comes from towards plugs.

Still my reality is very different from my past reality and I make it work.
The Comte condenses my thoughts very elegantly.

When many of the bigger regional studios went belly-up around here, and work dried up by way of the radical changes in the music industry, I and many others had a choice between either adapting or getting out altogether. I chose the former, and my vehicle was the DAW, which compromised sound quality in favor of flexibility and convenience.

Like the Comte, I have adapted, and gotten to a point where I can use the advantages of the DAW and either circumvent or live with its inadequacies.

otek
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:04 PM
American Idol Idiot
Paula Abdul's Speechwriter

strangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these parts

Ok i'll try to focus on my next post.

The ideal world is pretty much good hardware (some plugs possibly have the edge for individual tasks but emulations may not really be up to the same spec) is ideal

But the reality is cost. And big cost.

So you gotta do what you gotta do.

But there evidently is a difference, thats the general view, and it seems as if most of you would prefer the real deal, which is fair enough (certainly in the case of emulations)

But is this a hunger for the best, the Ferrari? Or is it simply that they are better and easier to work with.

I appreciate that you find it hard to tell me what its really like, you don't wanna sound like you are selling something when in reality its only your own experiences that have made you enjoy/benefit from the use of the real kit. And this does avoid the fact that we were comparing hardware and plug ins, rather than the experience of using them.

This forum has always taught me to place mic technique and performance first before anything else.

however another struck me does having a hardware compressor then come into mic technique? After all how you move the mic around can influence the compressor and make you decide something that a plug in, unless inserted onto a track and you listen to the effect (most seem to place this on after a recording however) may never hear till later on in the mix process.

--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
"If yer still fucking around with it after 90 seconds, then you're gonna be fucking around with it for at least another 90 minutes... and things are not necessarily gonna be getting much better".
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Has Many Personal Intergritys
Expensive Boat Anchor

weedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these parts

if it sounds like it needs a compressor, or it would sound better in the mix with a compressor, i add one. NOW.

otherwise, how do I make every OTHER decision as we progress when it's being heard against a sound that's only going to change?

I think "vitriol" towards plug ins is a silly idea.

It's, as a friend of mine used to say, like when someone stubs his toe and says "stupid door!"... cursing at inanimate objects.

it's more that even though I can make the choice, I make it in favour of what sounds BETTER to me.

that's all.

and it's not the magic of hardware... it's specifics.
between an RNC and the Digi Comp3 I might take the plug in.

but on the other side, I sometimes think you want your options to be 'validated' by others here, and that's not always going to happen.

Pretty much everyone here, except me, thinks the SM57 is THE snare mic handed by god to adam for use with his portastudio.

I think it's near enough to my last choice on anything.

But the point is, it doesn't MATTER to me to have other people say "yes, you're absolutely right" or if other people say they think I'm crazy.

and it shouldn't matter to you, IF you listen and decide for yourself.

making armchair decisions based on advice is only going to take you so far, even it it IS good advice.
you ultimately do what works for YOU.

back on the main point, let me say this (although I know it's been said before)

Yes, I CAN make it work ITB or with plug ins.
And I can be happy with the result.
But it will almost always take longer, be harder, and feel less satisfying in its process than if I did the same things with good hardware outboard.

I plug in an La2a on the guitar insert, I match it for unity gain, I have it barely compressing, perhaps 2-3 dB at the loudest points... and the guitar just SOUNDS BETTER than without it.
Straight away.
The level is matched - pop the insert out/pop the insert in - HEY that's BETTER...

the same feeling does NOT come from plug in versions.
It may compress effectively, in that the dynamics are constrained or it pumps a bit or the peaks are rounded... but there isn't that general sense of "yeah"

that doesn;t say "i HATE plug ins"

it only says I prefer the outboard
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Yet to knock-up a Spears daughter
Unscrupulous Usufructuary

tannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedywet View Post

Pretty much everyone here, except me, thinks the SM57 is THE snare mic handed by god to adam for use with his portastudio.
Hm...wasn't the SM57 handed to Eve ? Guess I should read some parts of the Bible over...

Marco

Last edited by tannoy; April 17th, 2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Brigader
Expensive Boat Anchor

otek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannoy View Post
Hm...wasn't the SM57 handed to Eve ?
Nah.

Eve somehow seemed to like the RE-20 better.

otek
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Has Many Personal Intergritys
Expensive Boat Anchor

weedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these parts

no no, the whole thing was set up before eve arrived.

god told adam he could have a studio, and adam said 'great!'

but the downside was god had this girlfriend who sings...
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:56 PM
American Idol Idiot
Paula Abdul's Speechwriter

strangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these partsstrangedays is infamous around these parts

Is the devil a eurodesk?

--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
"If yer still fucking around with it after 90 seconds, then you're gonna be fucking around with it for at least another 90 minutes... and things are not necessarily gonna be getting much better".
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:58 PM
A Top 10 Beaver Licker
Monet, Not Manet!

Pimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedays View Post
Is the devil a eurodesk?
That was what was used to anchor the ark.
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Silly Rabbit
Thinks Humbert got a raw deal

Dega currently in negotiationsDega currently in negotiationsDega currently in negotiationsDega currently in negotiationsDega currently in negotiationsDega currently in negotiationsDega currently in negotiationsDega currently in negotiationsDega currently in negotiationsDega currently in negotiationsDega currently in negotiations

Quote:

Hehehe - now that's just too damn funny there
Waylon Jennings

"If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn."
Charlie Parker

"Scientists claim that hydrogen, because it's so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."
Frank Zappa
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Court of The Crimson King of The Road
Swears by ADATs... not at

eagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these parts

Quote:
if it sounds like it needs a compressor, or it would sound better in the mix with a compressor, i add one. NOW.

otherwise, how do I make every OTHER decision as we progress when it's being heard against a sound that's only going to change?
Ah, good. That relates directly to something I was going to toss in here. Which is this.

Part of any thinking about this particular burning issue is, by necessity, at least sometimes, about the actual use of a compressor. The practical circumstances.

Sometimes, people want to get the sound together as they want it, make a decision, commit, and record that.

If you want to use a compressor in this, and that's part of the signal path on the way in to a recorded track, using a software plugin is just not happening.

JLE

"I've suffered for my music, and now it's your turn"-Neil Innes

"I am amazed every single day how so many think that you have to constantly DO things to engineer properly. In fact, you do as little as possible, and then only the things required. The trick is in knowing what is actually required."-Terry Manning

"WE'RE ALL VILLAGE IDIOTS AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER. "-der Schlippermensch

Facebook me!
blah, blah, blah
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Brigader
Monet, Not Manet!

Comte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these parts

Vitriol isn't really the same meaning as it once was, it used to stand for "Universal Solvent."

All that psycho-babble aside, the damn truth is WW is right on about the way hardware works immediately. It's the sole reason i have lots of expensive compression and eq even though most times it's only used during tracking.

A vocal that benefits from compression sent to the artists phones is going to inspire, that doesn't work at all with software IMO. After all we're here to capture inspired performances, nothing matters if we miss that.

Much like a great room gives back, so does hardware.

"all is indecipherable to him who is not prepared; he can see nothing, read nothing in the interior..."
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:40 AM
President of local Trekkie club.
Reprobate

paulie is infamous around these partspaulie is infamous around these partspaulie is infamous around these partspaulie is infamous around these partspaulie is infamous around these partspaulie is infamous around these partspaulie is infamous around these partspaulie is infamous around these partspaulie is infamous around these partspaulie is infamous around these partspaulie is infamous around these parts

Quote:
no no, the whole thing was set up before eve arrived.

HAAA!

Super close to the bone!

Paulie.
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Let it Be Still My Broken Heart
Short-rope candidate

Dave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie View Post
HAAA!

Super close to the bone!
Doh! Another pun.

Surprised no one has made a crack about Adam's "hardware".

------------

Current status: Ignoring everybody on Facebook.
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Brigader
Expensive Boat Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perry View Post
Surprised no one has made a crack about Adam's "hardware".
I hear Eve is all about rib-bon(e)s.

Ok, I will shut up now....

otek
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Let it Be Still My Broken Heart
Short-rope candidate

Dave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these parts

No, this is really the logical end to this thread anyway...

------------

Current status: Ignoring everybody on Facebook.
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Yet to knock-up a Spears daughter
Unscrupulous Usufructuary

tannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by otek View Post
Nah.

Eve somehow seemed to like the RE-20 better.
You've got a dirty mind...the only thing she liked about the RE-20 was the case bundled with it back then.....see attached picture.... and that's the truth.
Attached Images

Old April 24th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Master Debater
Expensive Boat Anchor

nobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these parts

It all started when Steve Jobs offered Eve the Apple.

Adam was the first plug in.

CMIIW = "Correct Me If I'm Wrong"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. casino View Post
Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
A great engineer can make shit sound like gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
Old April 25th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Plays in Winger cover band
Michigan J. Frog

imagin is infamous around these partsimagin is infamous around these partsimagin is infamous around these partsimagin is infamous around these partsimagin is infamous around these partsimagin is infamous around these partsimagin is infamous around these partsimagin is infamous around these partsimagin is infamous around these partsimagin is infamous around these partsimagin is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby View Post
It all started when Steve Jobs offered Eve the Apple.

Adam was the first plug in.

Tags
theology