Mixerman Radio Show Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell Radio CAPE The Best of Charles Dye Aadry's and Dwoz's Rotation Station
Mixerman's Diaries
Occupy by when?!?!, it's CAPE 10? I'm not ready!!!!!! Zen & Tao of Producing w/The Saint! Zen & Tao of Producing w/Ken Scott! Zen, The Blood Red Vampire Forum, Mwahahahaha!!!

Go Back   The Womb > The Womb Forums > From GEAR to Eternity

From GEAR to Eternity You may now openly lust for gear

Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:41 PM
Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi
Slippy's codpiece...ewwww.

SoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiations
Default Audient Mico opinions?

At the price this can be obtained, it looks like a great pre/AD setup.

Anybody have any experience with one and opinions of?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:38 PM
Brigader
Expensive Boat Anchor

otek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Audient Mico opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChances View Post
Anybody have any experience with one and opinions of?
http://thewombforums.com/showthread.php?t=11727

That there search function is pretty handy.

otek
Old July 24th, 2009, 02:26 AM

SoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiationsSoundChances currently in negotiations

Quote:
Originally Posted by otek View Post
http://thewombforums.com/showthread.php?t=11727

That there search function is pretty handy.

otek
I read through all the Audient threads I could find and not a single mention of the MiCO...

I know Audient is well regarded, just wanting to hear someone say something about the MiCO
Old July 24th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Brigader
Expensive Boat Anchor

otek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these parts

Quote:
I know Audient is well regarded, just wanting to hear someone say something about the MiCO
According to the literature, the Mico pres and AD are exactly the same as that of the ASP008.

otek
Old July 24th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Not exactly the same...no impedance selection and one channel has the HMX from the Black series...
So kind of a cross between the ASP and the Black..

Well, I ordered one anyway based on what I've heard about the ASP...
Old July 24th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Brigader
Expensive Boat Anchor

Quote:
Not exactly the same...no impedance selection and one channel has the HMX from the Black series...
The basic architecture of the pre is the same, again according to the literature. I'm sure you won't be dissatisfied with the sound.

otek
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:55 AM

Got it today and so far so good.
Haven't done much other than play my bass through it to check out the HMX. Gives a nice bit fur to the sound, should be good for DI bass tracks when a pristine sound is not wanted.

Was hoping to do some multiple mic guitar work through it today but had to fix a hot water tank...totally jacked me up. Hopefully will be able to do some of that tomorrow and mess with that there phase knob on the right side....since that was a big reason why I got it.
Old July 30th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Brigader
Expensive Boat Anchor

Sounds cool!

It seems to fill a bit of a hole in that price bracket - the unit's about 600 Euros and if it sounds like the ASP, it should be very cool indeed.

otek
Old July 31st, 2009, 01:27 AM

Hmmm...not so good. I may have a bum unit, help me make sure I'm not missing something before I ship it back.

So I'm using the clock on the MiCo as my clock source and I'm getting occasional hiccups. I get a pop and all my other gear looses sync for a split second and it comes back.
I have it cabled through an AES cable to a MOTU 896HD and the 896 is set to receive clock from the AES input. I went out and got a brand new cable today to make sure that wasn't the issue and the problem is still there.

I hooked it up through SPDIF to my portable recorder that has a wonderful feature where it will show the incoming clock and it's constantly bouncing higher than it should be. It's a small deviation, from .01% up to .05%, but that doesn't seem right to me. Shouldn't it be a more stable than that?

I measured the clock on the MOTU unit through the word clock BNC cable and it occasionally bounces up .01%, but a lot less than the Mico. I would have expected a brand new higher end unit to be more accurate than a 5 year old MOTU...

I'm thinking that my other devices are loosing sync when it bounces way up to the .05% mark, seem plausible?

A I missing something? Are my expectations too high? Is that an acceptable deviation for a clock? Is it broken?
Old July 31st, 2009, 05:04 AM
Brigader
Expensive Boat Anchor

Quote:
Are my expectations too high? Is that an acceptable deviation for a clock? Is it broken?
Of course it's not acceptable, if the unit is not working as advertised.

Quick question: Why are you going through the MOTU? It seems to me like the problem could lie in the interfacing of your front end units.

otek
Old July 31st, 2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otek View Post
Quick question: Why are you going through the MOTU?
Because the MOTU is the only device I have that has a Firewire connection. Have to get that audio into the computer somehow :-D
That's about all it's used for anymore, a firewire connection for my AES and ADAT stuff! The MOTU has been rock solid and I have serious doubts that it's the problem as all my other gear is working fine with it....
Old July 31st, 2009, 05:19 PM
Brigader
Expensive Boat Anchor

Quote:
Because the MOTU is the only device I have that has a Firewire connection. Have to get that audio into the computer somehow :-D
So there's no regular SP/DIF coaxial or optical connection with which you might test the unit?

There's no reason why the setup wouldn't work in principle, and no reason why the Audient would be any worse at distributing and clocking signal than anything else, so this is likely a problem with your settings, drivers or cabling - or the unit is simply broken, in which case you will get a new one on warranty.

otek
Old July 31st, 2009, 05:58 PM

I did test it with my portable recorder which is telling me the clock is running anywhere from .01% to .05% fast.
Haven't seen it loose sync with the portable recorder, but the recorder is telling me somethings wrong. It could be the MOTU just can't deal with out of spec clocks as well as the portable unit.

I've got a call into tech support and they are supposed to get back with me this afternoon. I'm pretty sure I got bum unit...
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:02 AM
First Kiss
Wanker

Frank Lawrence is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking about getting an Audient Mico, and curious about any follow up opinions.
I'm looking to be able to record four channels simultaneously, 2 through the Audient (SPIDIF outs), and 2 through my Mbox 2 Pro's mic inputs. Will that work? Also looking for more gain than the Mbox pre's offer, and a better DI sound as well.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.