Mixerman Radio Show Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell Radio CAPE The Best of Charles Dye Aadry's and Dwoz's Rotation Station
Mixerman's Diaries
Occupy by when?!?!, it's CAPE 10? I'm not ready!!!!!! Zen & Tao of Producing w/The Saint! Zen & Tao of Producing w/Ken Scott! Zen, The Blood Red Vampire Forum, Mwahahahaha!!!

Go Back   The Womb > The Womb Network > The Sounding Board

The Sounding Board song and mix critique forum

Old January 7th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Let it Be Still My Broken Heart
Short-rope candidate

Dave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Rough_Mix | Need Help w/ Direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by otek View Post
I do have an understanding of theory, but I am not fast and intuitive with it. I have worked with some extremely talented arrangers, and learned from them, though I haven't actually written or co-written a lot. I do help with arrangements when the artist invites me to, however.

For a recent and typical example, if you're on iTunes, you can check out a song called The Sky Fell by Ian Henderson. I arranged that song (and recorded/mixed) with strings, upright bass, keyboards and piano.

Apologies to Hakim for the OT. Now back to the regular program.

otek
Thanks man, I'll have a listen.

As tit for tat, I'm about to post an album worth of "acoustic" material on MySpace. When a moment of bravery overcomes me, I'll try to quickly add the link to my sig.

Back on topic: I hear you when you say it's time consuming to give detailed song critiques, including a breakdown of chord progression, etc., which is why I don't usually go that far into it and resort to cop-out terms like :quirky".

And it's true that there are industry people out there charging a good pile of money to critique people's online submissions.

------------

Current status: Ignoring everybody on Facebook.
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh.
Thinks Maroon 5 is a planet. Pluto too.

hakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perry View Post
And it's true that there are industry people out there charging a good pile of money to critique people's online submissions.
Yes it is true. If you guys are interested, I have a friend whose company hosts a forum for these kinds of services if your credentials meet their requirement. If it does its a pretty easy way to make a few bucks. Most people ... a bunch of Berklee folk... charge anywhere from $20 - $200 per critique.

PM me and I'll introduce you. He can take it from there.

PS. I'm not sure but I don't think it costs you anything up front. There is a service charge for the client... I believe thats how they make their money. Don't quote me.
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Brigader
Expensive Boat Anchor

otek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these parts

That's not why I am hanging out here. I'm happy to dispense simple advice on my spare time, for free.

However, if someone does want to go a bit further, I have done "online one-on-ones" for a fee in the past, and I am happy to do it again.

The way these things work in my case is, I take delivery of some of the raw tracks and then do a series of Skype talks where I lay out the basics, and send processed files and information back and forth.

Personally I think there's only so much you can get from a critique in text form - you still have to put it together yourself, and the "instructions" will be more or less abstract. Doing it in the fashion I described above, it gets a little clearer and easier to follow.

otek
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Blonde on Blonde is a record?
Calls Football Soccer

Carlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these partsCarlo is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to Carlo

I've been writin' for a long time, and I write the same "bringing in the sheaves, bringing in the sheaves.." over and over, and these songs show me there are many roads to walk on.

Broken hearts, though all over the place as far as how it leads you, as others have said, makes all the sense in the world. The two polar parts are male/female...just like relationships...who can figure?

And New Yorker? When a singer makes ya want to meet them, it's a good thing, and I want to meet her!

Both of these, as St Rob said, get my props for the distance from the "normal" dismal beach...sail on...

"You don't make music for immortality, you make music for the moment, capturing the sheer joy of being alive on planet Earth... Everybody should live it that way." Ray Manzarek

Old January 7th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Short-rope candidate

Dave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these partsDave Perry is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Personally I think there's only so much you can get from a critique in text form - you still have to put it together yourself, and the "instructions" will be more or less abstract. Doing it in the fashion I described above, it gets a little clearer and easier to follow.

otek
Although nothing beats sitting in the studio side by side. I think we all struggle with getting some use out of talking in the forums but I'm sure some good comes from it here and there.

------------

Old January 8th, 2010, 04:41 PM

hakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiationshakimcallier currently in negotiations

Quote:
I'm sure some good comes from it here and there.
I would definitely say the Womb has helped me to up my mixing game in the past few months. I mean just lurking and searching all the goodies sitting in the archives alone has a value of at least a 1073 clone, IMHO.

The tunes in this post were mixed by me early last year, with some touch-ups in the third quarter. And I can't wait to mix MY new stuff with my newly acquired bag.

I've been using my newly acquired techniques daily for my clients. Stuff that would have taken me a lot longer to acquire. I went to an audio school and a major university but there is nothing like practicing this stuff at home! Nothing, else like it.

You guys are great!
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Short-rope candidate

It's also a great value to actually have clients (something I've only done once since my AE activities are pretty much only for my own music).

Having that deadline can really push you to make decisions with a boldness and decisiveness it's hard to force on yourself when you are strictly producing your own work.

------------

Old January 9th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Brigader
Expensive Boat Anchor

otek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Having that deadline can really push you to make decisions with a boldness and decisiveness it's hard to force on yourself when you are strictly producing your own work.
...and which frequently produces better results, artistically.

otek
Old January 9th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Annie Lennox Lewis
Expensive Boat Anchor

John Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakimcallier View Post
At my request Todd came up with a way to emulate 1/2 speed vinyl mastering in the digital domain which also adds to the lo-fi element. I really wanted the record to sound like vinyl (80's vinyl) in an iPod. There are these kinds of treatments applied to the entire mix and master.
?????

Half speed mastering was a technique used to RAISE fidelity, not lower it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
Old January 9th, 2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Half speed mastering was a technique used to RAISE fidelity, not lower it.
Sure. Raise fidelity of a vinyl record. But the fidelity of digital audio is a big difference from vinyl.

Of course you know this. I am only mentioning to remind you of the platform difference and the application of a vinyl EQ curve as well as other treatments that resulted in a more vinyl-like sound which is what I referred to as lo-fi. Perhaps I should not have said lo-fi... rather a vinyl-like sound.

I think in the digital domain other methods would be applied to do what half speed mastering did for vinyl. I on the other hand was looking to make digital sound like vinyl.

Last edited by hakimcallier; January 9th, 2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi
Slippy's codpiece...ewwww.

markyb currently in negotiationsmarkyb currently in negotiationsmarkyb currently in negotiationsmarkyb currently in negotiationsmarkyb currently in negotiationsmarkyb currently in negotiationsmarkyb currently in negotiationsmarkyb currently in negotiationsmarkyb currently in negotiationsmarkyb currently in negotiationsmarkyb currently in negotiations

I agree (with who? well that's the mystery...), sounds like a good song that my cassette player ate and now has terminal wow. wish I could find a cd version of that jam!
Old January 10th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Brigader
Expensive Boat Anchor

Quote:
But the fidelity of digital audio is a big difference from vinyl.
Unfortunately, yes.

One can only hope they eventually make digital playback media and formats sound as good as vinyl.

Not happening yet, though.

otek
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
One can only hope they eventually make digital playback media and formats sound as good as vinyl.
Now that I think about it, this should be something that IR technology could actually be useful.

Not that chamber reverbs and analog distortion aren't useful but algorithms have NEVER done justice to vinyl. Perhaps IR might... who knows?

If anyone knows any plugin developers... that might be worth looking into.
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Brigader
Expensive Boat Anchor

Quote:
Now that I think about it, this should be something that IR technology could actually be useful.
The problem is, the one thing convolution technology is NOT good at is non-linear behavior. So until we can create convolution programs which are adaptive and dynamic, I don't really see it happening - and that kind of software will require some SERIOUS computing muscle.

otek