Mixerman Radio Show Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell Radio CAPE The Best of Charles Dye Aadry's and Dwoz's Rotation Station
Mixerman's Diaries
Occupy by when?!?!, it's CAPE 10? I'm not ready!!!!!! Zen & Tao of Producing w/The Saint! Zen & Tao of Producing w/Ken Scott! Zen, The Blood Red Vampire Forum, Mwahahahaha!!!

Go Back   The Womb > The Womb Forums > Zen and the Art of Mixing

Zen and the Art of Mixing Advanced mixing techniques

Old April 27th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Craves piCklEmiLk
Owns a Nappy Headed Hose

Dave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiations
Default Re: What Size/Type Space To Glue Reverbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.R View Post
I found a way to do this! in his book Mike Senior (SOS) describes it...

--have a gate as a send fx and send the delayed vox to the gate

--feed the gate's sidechain with the vox

--invert the polarity of the gate return

whenever the vox is present the gate will let through the inverted polarity signal silencing the delayed vox via phase cancellation. When the vox is silent at the end of a phrase the delayed vox breaks thru

how much is cancelled is controlled with the return fader

cool!
delay test mp3
Old April 27th, 2011, 07:30 PM
goes looking for thin ice to walk on
Can't drive 55!

Kita is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am working on a hip hop song right now and I just may use this technique.
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Brigader
Expensive Boat Anchor

otek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these parts

I think ducking works great for when you want something that stands out as an effect, however there is sometimes also a tendency to make things overly complicated.

On the internets, the most complex and elaborate techniques always win because of the "mystery factor".

In real life, if you put the singer in a reverberant room, there is nothing there to duck anything. You just put the mic closer to the singer, so that the reflections are softer than the "dry" voice.

otek
Old April 28th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Craves piCklEmiLk
Owns a Nappy Headed Hose

Dave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiationsDave.R currently in negotiations

do you really see that as complex?

anyway, remember what I was after was letting only the last bit of each phrase out like in the Owl City song I posted earlier in the thread

you're such a ball buster

Old April 28th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Has Many Personal Intergritys
Expensive Boat Anchor

weedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these parts

I"m not convinced that track has a ducking delay.

two other alternatives are to make a track of just the words you want delayed as a trigger for the delay

OR, to simply ride the delay return or send manually (and automate it)
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Craves piCklEmiLk
Owns a Nappy Headed Hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedywet View Post
two other alternatives are to make a track of just the words you want delayed as a trigger for the delay
now that does sound like a lot of work

Quote:
OR, to simply ride the delay return or send manually (and automate it)
we tried that and it was difficult to get it smooth enough
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Brigader
Expensive Boat Anchor

otek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these parts

Quote:
do you really see that as complex?
Well, to ME, if you want delay on the last words only, the intuitive way would be what Weedy suggested - automating the delay send, which does seem a little more straight forward.

However, since you've obviously tried that unsuccessfully, I see nothing wrong with also trying other techniques.

But like Weedy I am not entirely convinced there is a ducking delay on that track, either.

otek
Old April 29th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Large dairy air enthusiast
Portable toilet attendant

dnafe is infamous around these partsdnafe is infamous around these partsdnafe is infamous around these partsdnafe is infamous around these partsdnafe is infamous around these partsdnafe is infamous around these partsdnafe is infamous around these partsdnafe is infamous around these partsdnafe is infamous around these partsdnafe is infamous around these partsdnafe is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to dnafe

for just the odd phrase like that...C&P a copy the desired vocal into position on a new track