Mixerman Radio Show Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell Radio CAPE The Best of Charles Dye Aadry's and Dwoz's Rotation Station
Mixerman's Diaries
Occupy by when?!?!, it's CAPE 10? I'm not ready!!!!!! Zen & Tao of Producing w/The Saint! Zen & Tao of Producing w/Ken Scott! Zen, The Blood Red Vampire Forum, Mwahahahaha!!!

Go Back   The Womb > The Womb Forums > The Mixerman, Slipperman, and Aardvark Show

The Mixerman, Slipperman, and Aardvark Show Mixerman, Slipperman, and Aardvark host the forum versions of their "radio" show.

Old November 6th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Cake! I love Cake!!!
Ron Jeremy's fluffer

Smileyblue is infamous around these partsSmileyblue is infamous around these partsSmileyblue is infamous around these partsSmileyblue is infamous around these partsSmileyblue is infamous around these partsSmileyblue is infamous around these partsSmileyblue is infamous around these partsSmileyblue is infamous around these partsSmileyblue is infamous around these partsSmileyblue is infamous around these partsSmileyblue is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to Smileyblue
Default CD's abolished by Majors by 2012!

http://www.side-line.com/news_commen...d=P46980_0_2_0

Comments????

The Womb Forums | Promote Your Page Too
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Annie Lennox Lewis
Expensive Boat Anchor

John Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiations
Default Re: CD's abolished by Majors by 2012!

Insanely stupid, horrible idea. I NEVER buy downloads. Hard copy only. I don't own an iPod and I don't listen to music on my phone and have no intention of doing so.

Furthermore this will encourage piracy by reducing the differentiation between legitimate music purchases and stolen material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
Old November 6th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Craves piCklEmiLk
Giggle boy

Waltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these parts

Seems like it's mostly hearsay, with no real references... in other words..BS.
Old November 6th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Martini Drinker
Merv Griffen re-run collector

Mixerman has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Mixerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyblue View Post
Good riddance. I'm all for it.

Mixerman
Old November 6th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Surfing the net at work every day!
Voted for Eisenhower 'cause Lincoln won the war

JNZ-AE currently in negotiationsJNZ-AE currently in negotiationsJNZ-AE currently in negotiationsJNZ-AE currently in negotiationsJNZ-AE currently in negotiationsJNZ-AE currently in negotiationsJNZ-AE currently in negotiationsJNZ-AE currently in negotiationsJNZ-AE currently in negotiationsJNZ-AE currently in negotiationsJNZ-AE currently in negotiations

If anyone has shares in any distribution companies, this would be the time to sell up...
Old November 6th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Martini Drinker
Merv Griffen re-run collector

Mixerman has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Mixerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNZ-AE View Post
If anyone has shares in any distribution companies, this would be the time to sell up...
When the Majors don't adapt, everyone criticizes. When they do adapt, everyone criticizes.

It's time to dump the CD. Seriously. Once that deed is done, you watch how quickly higher quality formats come into play.

Mechanical reproduction is a dinosaur. Time to move on.

Mixerman
Old November 6th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Failed snuff radio producer
Cock like a KM 84

iCombs currently in negotiationsiCombs currently in negotiationsiCombs currently in negotiationsiCombs currently in negotiationsiCombs currently in negotiationsiCombs currently in negotiationsiCombs currently in negotiationsiCombs currently in negotiationsiCombs currently in negotiationsiCombs currently in negotiationsiCombs currently in negotiations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixerman View Post
When the Majors don't adapt, everyone criticizes. When they do adapt, everyone criticizes.

It's time to dump the CD. Seriously. Once that deed is done, you watch how quickly higher quality formats come into play.

Mixerman
+1.

A CD holds a measly 700 MB of data. There's no good reason why iTunes can't offer comparable quality downloads for the same price. I know BandCamp offers FLAC versions of songs purchased...which is a decent compromise if you don't mind one transcode to get to a format your iPod will play.

I will still buy vinyl, though. I'm not one of those audiophile nerds...but I will say that it does change my experience of the music by making it something of an event. That is the one thing that completely digital media does lose out on...but that's such a nerdy point it's almost not worth making. Almost.

-Comte
Old November 6th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Bewildered Brigader
Fort Apache Doorman

TubaSolo is infamous around these partsTubaSolo is infamous around these partsTubaSolo is infamous around these partsTubaSolo is infamous around these partsTubaSolo is infamous around these partsTubaSolo is infamous around these partsTubaSolo is infamous around these partsTubaSolo is infamous around these partsTubaSolo is infamous around these partsTubaSolo is infamous around these partsTubaSolo is infamous around these parts

Quote:

Mixerman
Absolutely.

Still, a feeling of loss prevails.

Seeing the nicely arranged vinyl racks in the record shops of my teenage years was always a sign of imminent, major discovery.

Even though we hated the tiny plasticky cds when they were introduced, you could still relate to them sort of in the same way.

But now the "object of desire" in music will be gone.

I think concert tickets will disappear soon too, you'll get an abstract square-looking jpg on your phone that will self-delete the next day.

And parts of the life we know will keep on disappearing like that, until WE do.

Yeah that's life, out with the old, on with the new, bla bla.

Sorry for the gloom... must be this grey, cold, rainy, November Sunday morning.

Cheers

Old November 6th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Once did Lady Di on a bet
Happy Roman... Gladiator

tannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these parts

Quote:

Would be nice if higher quality formats would come into play, but I doubt that it will happen. The Hifi enthusiasts care, guys like us care, but most ppl do not - so why should the industry change the format ?

Marco
Old November 6th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Failed snuff radio producer
Cock like a Telefunken U-47

G cubed is infamous around these partsG cubed is infamous around these partsG cubed is infamous around these partsG cubed is infamous around these partsG cubed is infamous around these partsG cubed is infamous around these partsG cubed is infamous around these partsG cubed is infamous around these partsG cubed is infamous around these partsG cubed is infamous around these partsG cubed is infamous around these parts

What about the car cd player? I know newer ones have an aux jack or dock but I think car players trigger a lot of cd sales.
Old November 6th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Roadside Outcast Dept.
Nice legs, shame about the face

Tim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Halligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCombs View Post
A CD holds a measly 700 MB of data.

How many CD releases - that weren't live concert recordings, or "concept double albums" - have actually filled up a 700MB disc?

I would suggest the answer is "not many".

I don't think the CD will ever go away completely.

I buy my music as CD's.

I want the physical media.

Higher bitrate formats have been available for download by the public for some time...and to the best of my knowledge the public haven't been exactly falling over themselves in a rush to avail themselves of them.

The next big thing will be whatever the consumer electronics industry decides it will be. We as audio professionals will have almost no input into that decision.

As long as the public don't feel like they are having to replace their record/cd collection AGAIN for no other good reason than the consumer audio manufacturers have a new product to flog, there is a chance of retail success.

The venerable CD format was a compromise from the outset - AE's wanted something different/better than 44.1/16...the manufacturers settled on the best components available at the time that wouldn't make the whole thing cost-prohibitive...and so a format was born.

In the 30-odd years since its introduction, they managed to make it eventually sound quite acceptable. The industry also went past the point of acceptability in recent years with the whole loudness war shamozzle.

Remember the SACD debacle? Or even the DVD-Audio fiasco?

The public voted with their wallets on that one. They decided that CD was good enough, and they weren't going to spring for a new player, and/or a new library of content either.

But hey...it sounded better.

I am of the opinion that as much as we as the audio content producing community may want standards to improve, the people who ultimately fund this - ie the consumer - has repeatedly shown that they will take poorer quality, but with increased portability every single time.

Cheers,
Tim

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
Old November 6th, 2011, 11:44 AM
goes looking for thin ice to walk on
Can't drive 55!

RJ Palmer currently in negotiationsRJ Palmer currently in negotiationsRJ Palmer currently in negotiationsRJ Palmer currently in negotiationsRJ Palmer currently in negotiationsRJ Palmer currently in negotiationsRJ Palmer currently in negotiationsRJ Palmer currently in negotiationsRJ Palmer currently in negotiationsRJ Palmer currently in negotiationsRJ Palmer currently in negotiations

Just to get back to the article from the first post:with no quotes, no references, no named sources, a level of written English that would shame a high-school magazine and a little disclaimer at the bottom stating that 'several' 'major label' 'sources' confirmed that 'plans do exist to give up the CD', but with no further details and no dates mentioned, I think we can assume that the folks from the website in question are just looking for a spike in web traffic with this one.

The CD's time is coming, sure, but we all knew that anyway.
Old November 6th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Hates these rank titles!
Thinks Alfred Einstein was a genius

zoff currently in negotiationszoff currently in negotiationszoff currently in negotiationszoff currently in negotiationszoff currently in negotiationszoff currently in negotiationszoff currently in negotiationszoff currently in negotiationszoff currently in negotiationszoff currently in negotiationszoff currently in negotiations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyblue View Post
Maybe this is related:
Apple's lossless ALAC goes open source.

Apple's lossless ALAC goes open source, it's like FLAC for iPods

Well, it's not nearly as exciting as a new iPhone, but Apple recently announced a bit of news that will set people in certain circles abuzz. The company's lossless audio codec, ALAC, is going open source. Similar to FLAC, the Apple Lossless Audio Codec offers some file compression while still delivering a bit-for-bit recreation of the original source material. The primary difference being that Apple devices and software do not support FLAC (at least without some tinkering) but can handle the Cupertino developed ALAC. The decision to release the code under the Apache license won't have much of an immediate impact on your digital audio routine, but expect support for ALAC to start popping up in more media players (both hardware and software) soon.
Old November 6th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Craves piCklEmiLk
Giggle boy

Waltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these parts

Even though digital sales have been on the rise and cd's are on the decline, It seems for albums at least, cd's still out sell digital downloads by at least a 4 to 1 ratio.. so I can't see the record companies sitting around a table agreeing that they will all stop selling cd's by the end of 2012. It doesn't make sense or dollars.
Old November 6th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Ex-Martini Drinker
Backhoe therapist

Wide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these parts

I clearly remember buying my first CD. I mean, this would be the REAL thing. And at first, having shit for brains, I actually believed it.

It took a while before I found out how flawed the specs were.

Tuba, I know what you are saying, but I wouldn't have the same feeling I had when vinyl went the way of the Dodo (although I understand that there's actually a big market for vinyl again...)

Like it or not, I would appreciate if iTunes (or who ever) would offer at least non-compressed .wav files. I would pay for that, but then again, I might not be representative of the global market.

What ever happened to SACD BTW?
Old November 6th, 2011, 05:43 PM
D minor, the saddest of keys!
Wing Commander!!

madtheory madtheory madtheory madtheory madtheory madtheory madtheory madtheory madtheory madtheory madtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCombs View Post
I know BandCamp offers FLAC versions of songs purchased...which is a decent compromise if you don't mind one transcode to get to a format your iPod will play
Bandcamp offers ALAC also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Palmer View Post
Just to get back to the article from the first post:with no quotes, no references, no named sources, a level of written English that would shame a high-school magazine and a little disclaimer at the bottom stating that 'several' 'major label' 'sources' confirmed that 'plans do exist to give up the CD', but with no further details and no dates mentioned, I think we can assume that the folks from the website in question are just looking for a spike in web traffic with this one.

The CD's time is coming, sure, but we all knew that anyway.
+1
Old November 6th, 2011, 05:54 PM
SoundBlaster™ Expert
Regular person but for the extra nipple

MacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these parts

As long as there's a download format available with at least CD quality I'd be fine with that.

Add to this some downloadable booklet with some background information about the band and the production, and lyrics of course, and I would have no reason to complain.

A completely different thing I'm afraid of are the DRM thingies they will come up with, and proprietary player software for the music. I won't like that, it could end in a complete clusterfuck of formats.

Wanna listen to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon? Download the PinkFloydDarkSideOfTheMoonPlayer-App HERE...

Mac

Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
but how good you are at your worst.

Creating complex solutions is easy.

Old November 6th, 2011, 06:51 PM
once played a seventh chord in a folk song
Saw Yentle 46 times

Cheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these parts

Here is my thought:

My CD player from the 80s still works. My record player from the 60s still works. I have a pretty good idea that I will continue to be able to listen to my CDs and records for some time into the future. Especially the records. That machine is so simple a monkey could fix it if it ever did break.

None of my computers, media players, or hard drives from the 90s still work.

If I'm going to build a collection that I can learn, study, and fall in love with, I don't want a collection that lives and dies with a transient streaming service or opperating system, or one that goes kapput with my hard drive.
Old November 6th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Court of The Crimson King of The Road
Bought Bre-X high... still holding hope

eagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these parts

The actual linked article aside (since that seems to only matter in terms of triggering a conversation), I've been sitting here thinking about this, and right now I'm laying out, because this is the stuff of some big long essay.

But a big part of this comes down to an area that somebody else has touched on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheebs View Post
My CD player from the 80s still works. My record player from the 60s still works. I have a pretty good idea that I will continue to be able to listen to my CDs and records for some time into the future. Especially the records. That machine is so simple a monkey could fix it if it ever did break.

If I'm going to build a collection that I can learn, study, and fall in love with, I don't want a collection that lives and dies with a transient streaming service or opperating system, or one that goes kapput with my hard drive.

The Cheebs hits upon a whole area of a batch of stuff that is definitely not trivial.

JLE

"I've suffered for my music, and now it's your turn"-Neil Innes

"I am amazed every single day how so many think that you have to constantly DO things to engineer properly. In fact, you do as little as possible, and then only the things required. The trick is in knowing what is actually required."-Terry Manning

"WE'RE ALL VILLAGE IDIOTS AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER. "-der Schlippermensch

Facebook me!
blah, blah, blah
Old November 6th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Annie Lennox Lewis
Expensive Boat Anchor

John Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiationsJohn Eppstein currently in negotiations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheebs View Post
Here is my thought:

Yes! This is exactly what I've been saying every time this cockamamie idea or some variant of it (proprietary formats tied to DRM infested players, etc.) comes up. I want my music on solid media that doesn't degrade (much, anyway) and doesn't go POOF when my hard drive goes tits up or my computer format changes.

And the idea that losing the CD would open the gates to higher quality formats is utopian science fiction. The CD isn't holding back higher quality formats and the lack of hard copy won't promote said formats. The only thing that would promote higher quality formats would be a resurgence in the popularity of higher quality playback hardware and from everything I see the market is going in the opposite direction. That's why SACD and DVD Audio failed - very few people were willing to invest in the playback hardware.

What I see being likely is the exact opposite - that losing the CD as a distribution standard will lead to standardization on the MP3 as the dominant consumer format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????