Mixerman Radio Show Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell Radio CAPE The Best of Charles Dye Aadry's and Dwoz's Rotation Station
Mixerman's Diaries
Occupy by when?!?!, it's CAPE 10? I'm not ready!!!!!! Zen & Tao of Producing w/The Saint! Zen & Tao of Producing w/Ken Scott! Zen, The Blood Red Vampire Forum, Mwahahahaha!!!

Go Back   The Womb > The Womb Forums > Womb University

Womb University Recording, Mixing, and Production Made Easy

Old December 16th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh.
Studied for urine test

ManRoom Studio is infamous around these partsManRoom Studio is infamous around these partsManRoom Studio is infamous around these partsManRoom Studio is infamous around these partsManRoom Studio is infamous around these partsManRoom Studio is infamous around these partsManRoom Studio is infamous around these partsManRoom Studio is infamous around these partsManRoom Studio is infamous around these partsManRoom Studio is infamous around these partsManRoom Studio is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Building a Thicker Guitar Sound from only 1 Track?

Tony Maserati mixed Nellie McKay's Bruise In The Sky this way - with the guitar hard-panned left. And to be forthcoming, it kind of bothered me, being accustomed to more symmetrical mixes. But the interesting thing was that despite the guitar staying hard-panned left, the mix didn't lean to one side.

Anyway, a friend of mine asked me to do a karaoke-style version that she could sing to. So, I learned the guitar part, which was a lot of apreggiation and moving lines, and took it upon myself to correct this grievous error of unbalanced mixing - I doubled the part and panned it hard left and right.

In the meantime, I was reading ZaTAoM and came to the bit on asymmetrical mixes - the statement about perfectly symmetrical mixes being static and boring sort of hit home. I listened to my version with that in mind and had to admit that having the guitar perfectly balanced on both sides did make for a lackluster mix. Interestingly enough, I have to do a remix of the song for a compilation CD of music done by fellow co-workers - I'll be giving this asymmetrical thing a try . . .

The ManRoom
Old December 16th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Junior assistant coffee maker trainee
ACME recording engineer...just add water.

Le chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these parts

Unfortunately AEs usually don't listen to music the same way other people do. It is too active a process for it's own good sometimes. All this constant analysing of every song/mix elements can backfire and make it hard to hear the forest from the trees... :-)
Old December 16th, 2011, 12:19 PM
A Top 10 Beaver Licker
Holder of the Holy Handgrenade

Pimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these partsPimp-X is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le chef View Post
Unfortunately AEs usually don't listen to music the same way other people do. It is too active a process for it's own good sometimes. All this constant analysing of every song/mix elements can backfire and make it hard to hear the forest from the trees... :-)
I suffer from this often. I miss listening to music the way I did before I was actively involved in making it.
Old December 16th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Little River Band on The Run
Internet Meme

Brendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiations
Send a message via MSN to Brendo Send a message via Yahoo to Brendo Send a message via Skype™ to Brendo

That's part of the reason I refuse to learn my favourite songs on guitar.

The reverb-opposite-guitar thing works alright in headphones most of the time, but I think this is a shit example... just the bits where it's the first rhythm guitar without the second.

In speakers you don't notice a thing. But in headphones... the reverb is out of time with the main guitar and so the whole thing sounds... wrong.
Old December 16th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Plays in Winger cover band
Michigan J. Frog

Mick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these parts

Something I have done to help a similar situation, but not the same:
  1. Copy the same track to a new one
  2. Reverse it
  3. Add delay or verb, anywhere from almost dry to very wet
  4. Then reverse it back and line up
  5. Keep tooling with that method until I get a result I like.

Works well, in my opinion, with hard panned tracks
Old December 16th, 2011, 07:53 PM

Le chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these parts

You're just saying you love reversed ddl & reverb - panning nonewithstanding. (Something people have been doing for as long as multitrack tape has existed btw.) Not saying it can't be a nice effect at times...
Old December 18th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Bovine Custodial Officer
MNF special guest

AxeSlash is infamous around these partsAxeSlash is infamous around these partsAxeSlash is infamous around these partsAxeSlash is infamous around these partsAxeSlash is infamous around these partsAxeSlash is infamous around these partsAxeSlash is infamous around these partsAxeSlash is infamous around these partsAxeSlash is infamous around these partsAxeSlash is infamous around these partsAxeSlash is infamous around these parts
Send a message via MSN to AxeSlash

Just for the record, I have NO problem with hard-panning tracks, or indeed with asymmetry. What I DO have a problem with is lopsided mixes.

Having e.g. guitar one side and keys the other is fine, they kinda balance each other out. Take one away (for the whole of the mix, for short periods that's obviously not a problem), and to me it sounds awkward.

I was not implying that I base pan decisions on headphones - far from it, I base VERY little on headphones. However, in the modern ShitP3/iPod world, you DO have to bear it in mind...

As for the Ben Harper track...love the mix and also the music...but I DO still find it awkward to listen to because of that damn guitar out there on it's own :P Personally I would have put something on the other side to give it some balance (even if it's just some room verb on said guitar), but hey, it's your mix and your client, and if both of you are happy about it then I should probably shut the fuck up. Also it seems to give the illusion of everything else (that I presume is all centred?) leaning slightly to the opposite side anyway, so maybe I'm exaggerating slightly...

Maybe I'm just too used to listening to music that has a more balanced pan field. Maybe I'll mellow in my old age

"Mixing most 'heavy' records is like trying to find order and lucidity in a recording of a Cathedral Pipe Organ, all stops out, randomly veering between Handel's Messiah, Ginestera's 2nd and a coupla Bach Fugues, in a Titanium kitchenware foundry, while a gaggle of enraged PCP snorting gorillas with bullhorns conduct a demolition derby with cement mixers against the soothing cacophony of a nearby landslide/tsunami/heavy artillery exchange."- Slipperman
Old December 18th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Michigan J. Frog

Mick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these partsMick Stuart is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le chef View Post
You're just saying you love reversed ddl & reverb - panning nonewithstanding. (Something people have been doing for as long as multitrack tape has existed btw.) Not saying it can't be a nice effect at times...
I'm saying I have liked the result of using the original track panned opposite of the reversed-processed-reversed track. Not the effect alone of the reversed track. When used together AND panned it has created some interesting results and makes panning key.
Old December 18th, 2011, 06:28 AM

I know, but the way you described the actual process of getting to the reversed fx to me felt a bit like it was an almost novel thing. Hence my "historical footnote" comment. ;-)
Old December 18th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Michigan J. Frog

As novel as possibilities can be…
Old December 18th, 2011, 07:02 PM

:-)
Old December 18th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Surfing the net at work every day!
Voted for Eisenhower 'cause Lincoln won the war

T.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these parts

IMO, the different examples every body has mentioned (Faded, Extreme, U2...) are all songs that have a mix that I find exciting.
They don't sound conventional.

It's true that I hadn't be confident enough to mix these songs this way.

However, this whole thread is quite an eye-opener : after trying out every panning possible, it seems the solution should appear as an evidence.
As an engineer, one has the responsability not to be biased by some conventional procedure, and be open-minded to new approaches ( they aren't even new, in fact) that might sound way better.
Old December 18th, 2011, 10:12 PM

T.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these partsT.M. is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixerman View Post
I don't know what you guys listen to, but there is enormous precedent for panning a guitar part hard like this. Why on earth would this make anyone feel uncomfortable?
I was reading your post again.
This sentence made me think...

You're right !

Although I've listened to a lot of songs mixed this way, it never bothered me. I never really thought about it in fact, simply enjoying the music.

When mixing, I'm no more using the part of the brain I use to enjoy the music. So, this hard-panned thing becomes an issue.
THERE HAS TO BE SIMMETRY !

Now, I realize that fun and excitment when mixing are great tools to reach another level, and make decision.
Probably are the wrong choices less exciting...
Old December 19th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Roadside Outcast Dept.
Group sex therapist

Tim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Halligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.M. View Post
THERE HAS TO BE SIMMETRY !
AND SPELLCHECK!

Cheers,
Tim

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
Old December 19th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Brigader
Monet, Not Manet!

Comte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these partsComte de St Germain is infamous around these parts

Building a Thicker Guitar Sound from only 1 Track?

Make that one track thick.

Delays and doubling tomfoolery is just that, if it works for the production then go for it but if it doesn't then just freaking use the one guitar at its finest.

"all is indecipherable to him who is not prepared; he can see nothing, read nothing in the interior..."
Old December 20th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Failed snuff radio producer
Cock like a KM 84

gonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these parts

i've multitracking guitars for a long time, lots of experimenting, and you know, it's a subjective thing.....

but my belief is that performing a part two, or three times, is always preferable to 'tricking out' a mix with a single performance that has been enhanced.

the human quality cannot be underestimated.
it's all the discrepancies in perfection, that make something compelling to listen to.
Old December 21st, 2011, 07:38 PM
Failed snuff radio producer
Cock like a KM 84

gonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these parts

and in response to mixerman's 'rant' on hard panning.....

gotta totally agree.
and the ben tune sounds great.

i think, that 'beginning' mixers (myself included) have to go thru the learning period of trying to achieve 'balanced' mixes, before they can enjoy the 'pure' mix...

...my name, for mix decisions that are made either by the artist, or the mixer, or both together...
that are done for the art of it.
the uniqueness of it.

there are an infinite number of mix possibilities.....
the only one that matters, is the one that is made.
Old December 21st, 2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Halligan View Post
AND SPELLCHECK!

Cheers,
Tim
Your right. Spelchek is importent

Tags
building a chicken guitar sound from only 1 track, my ballsack is asymmetrical