Mixerman Radio Show Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell Radio CAPE The Best of Charles Dye Aadry's and Dwoz's Rotation Station
Mixerman's Diaries
Occupy by when?!?!, it's CAPE 10? I'm not ready!!!!!! Zen & Tao of Producing w/The Saint! Zen & Tao of Producing w/Ken Scott! Zen, The Blood Red Vampire Forum, Mwahahahaha!!!

Go Back   The Womb > The Womb Forums > The Mixerman, Slipperman, and Aardvark Show

The Mixerman, Slipperman, and Aardvark Show Mixerman, Slipperman, and Aardvark host the forum versions of their "radio" show.

Old January 17th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert
Faded European 'B' actor

E. Shaun is infamous around these partsE. Shaun is infamous around these partsE. Shaun is infamous around these partsE. Shaun is infamous around these partsE. Shaun is infamous around these partsE. Shaun is infamous around these partsE. Shaun is infamous around these partsE. Shaun is infamous around these partsE. Shaun is infamous around these partsE. Shaun is infamous around these partsE. Shaun is infamous around these parts
Default Re: When will the US catch up?

Meh. I live in the U.S. but was born and raised in Canada. I don't find it too big of a deal -- it's all relative, isn't it? The U.S. education system has enough problems (and is in enough debt) without trying to change the way math is taught. If this country ever finds its way back to economic prosperity, then maybe changing over to the metric system will be on the radar. Until that time though, it strikes me as something that's not important enough to be cost effective.

And at the end of the day, most folks who are smart enough to be doing a significant level of trade with foreign countries are also smart enough to use conversion charts. Or estimation.

(Having said all of the above, the metric system DOES make a hell of a lot more sense to me, as does Celsius vs. Fahrenheit...unless you're running a distillery...)
Old January 17th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Astrological sign is "Feces"!
Prefers Epiphone to Gibson

Kooch currently in negotiationsKooch currently in negotiationsKooch currently in negotiationsKooch currently in negotiationsKooch currently in negotiationsKooch currently in negotiationsKooch currently in negotiationsKooch currently in negotiationsKooch currently in negotiationsKooch currently in negotiationsKooch currently in negotiations

OK, mathy guys, answer this:

What is the metric equivalent of:
2 rods+ 3 digits+one shaftment minus 1 hand X 2 links?

Huh?

Calculators equal cheating.

Eh, screw it. Use a calculator.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CornFlu
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:04 AM
once played a seventh chord in a folk song
Saw Yentle 46 times

Cheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these parts

It's 90 feet to first base and 10 yards for a first down, and it will take an armed revolution to change that. The world can pry my gallon of milk from my cold, dead fingers.

Granted, when I was an engineering student I wouldn't dream of doing a calculation without first converting to metric and then converting the answer back. And I do find it odd that there is no unit in common use over here for mass. We just kinda' use the units for force and and hope nobody notices.
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:11 AM
once played a seventh chord in a folk song
Saw Yentle 46 times

Cheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these partsCheebs is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Shaun View Post
(Having said all of the above, the metric system DOES make a hell of a lot more sense to me, as does Celsius vs. Fahrenheit...unless you're running a distillery...)
Celsius only makes sense dealing with water. Between 0 and 100 water goes from fucking cold to fucking hot. But I can't live in water's world. 100 degrees C is disastrously bad for me.

Fahrenheit makes sense dealing with people. Between 0 and 100, people go from fucking cold to fucking hot. Perfect for me, since I am a person.

The giant upside to metric/SI units is their ease of use in calculation. Celsius even fails there since you have to first convert to Kelvin before you dare multiply or divide. Not much of an upside to C. We got 'em there.
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:28 AM
SoundBlaster™ Expert
Sting's less famous twin

MacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these parts

I'm always a bit underwhelmed by cultures which still use parts of the human anatomy to measure things.

How much penis are two boobies?

Mac

Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
but how good you are at your worst.

Creating complex solutions is easy.

Old January 18th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Martini Drinker
Internet Meme

dwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these parts

as a surveyor and sheep farmer I am happy and comfortable with rods, chains, and stone.

As a carpenter, I am more than satisfied with RCH.

I've never been able to fathom nautical measurements.

As a man-mathematician I will always remember the "golden ratio" as 36-24-36. Change that to metric and I will always think we're talking about water buffalo or baby rhinos.

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Yet to knock-up a Spears daughter
Unscrupulous Usufructuary

tannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these partstannoy is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

Depends on the boobies. And on the penis as well. Ah, forget it.

Marco
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Hot Rats Greatest Hits
Loves Jules and The Polar Bears

PRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these parts

A mathematician named Hall
Had a hexohedragonal ball.
The cube of its weight
Times his pecker plus eight
Is his phone number, give him a call.
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Court of The Crimson King of The Road
Swears by ADATs... not at

eagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these parts

Oh, goody, this one will go for weeks, I see.

One thing, though.

Kind of funny, really, seeing this become some sort of issue of debate.. and it's not.

How can I phrase this?

IT'S NOT BASE 12 MATH.

Jesus god almighty.

It's all base 10.

So just stop that.

Anyway.

Like I said, it's really down to familiarity, although in retrospect, minutes later, I think that might not have been exactly the right wording, to say it's all down to familiarity, and not more.

Might have been better to say it's down to established status quo.

It's both a matter of people understanding and functioning with the system they've known all their lives, however fucked up it might be when you really get into all the "well, why is this....?" stuff.

There's a practical element that's not trivial.

There are things established and existing.

It's not all going away.

So, here in the land of the free still using The King's Measurements, it's a double world for a lot of people.

Nobby has a point about the whole "two sets of tools" thing, which is personally relevant to me. Would be a lot cheaper and less stuff to not have that, but it's there, and that's going to stay that way.... at most, the proportions of time when you use one or the other will vary over time.

Extra fun when you are, say, working on a machine where you're dealing with both depending on what particular thing you're working on.

Some things are silly, like, you gots blueprints with dimensions in inches but partial inches in decimal form, then laying things out with tape measures and rulers with fractional markings, and that sort of thing, and this general theme always floats around in the back of your mind about how just plain dopey some of that can be.

But there it is. It's a mixed bag that we just have to deal with.

JLE

"I've suffered for my music, and now it's your turn"-Neil Innes

"I am amazed every single day how so many think that you have to constantly DO things to engineer properly. In fact, you do as little as possible, and then only the things required. The trick is in knowing what is actually required."-Terry Manning

"WE'RE ALL VILLAGE IDIOTS AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER. "-der Schlippermensch

Facebook me!
blah, blah, blah
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Has Many Personal Intergritys
Expensive Boat Anchor

weedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these parts

my undertanding is that "base 12" would have to count 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b

with the quantity 'twelve' expressed as 10
Old January 18th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Silly Rabbit
Has good table manners

blibblob currently in negotiationsblibblob currently in negotiationsblibblob currently in negotiationsblibblob currently in negotiationsblibblob currently in negotiationsblibblob currently in negotiationsblibblob currently in negotiationsblibblob currently in negotiationsblibblob currently in negotiationsblibblob currently in negotiationsblibblob currently in negotiations

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedywet View Post
my undertanding is that "base 12" would have to count 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b

with the quantity 'twelve' expressed as 10
1", 2", 3", 4", 5", 6", 7", 8", 9", 10", 11", 1'0", 1'1", 1'2", 1'3"...
Decimal numerals to represent base 12 units. We just don't continue the pattern in an intelligent matter, instead we subdivide so when we hit 3' we have yards and then again at 1760yd. Illogical. In some ways... People tend to think in a logarithmic scale.

I just don't respond well to a Cartman styled "NO!" It's difficult to represent a duodecimal system when our founding in math is so based in the decimal. And all from a snide remark about a math joke I made...

I never actually thought I'd have to argue about how much more consistent the metric system is... It's been used in science and engineering for decades. We'd probably have an easier time switching over if we had decent science education in the US.

Measurement itself is such an arbitrary thing anyways, we simply state that some randomly determined distance is 1 something. Then just run with it. The easiest thing here is to just agree that an international consensus makes the most sense, whatever that might be, and the persistence of anything else is nothing more than stubbornness.
Old January 18th, 2012, 03:23 AM
Martini Drinker
Internet Meme

dwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these parts

I still say that the carpenter's RCH is the most elegant and intrinsically CORRECT measurement ever invented.

In that it embodies both qualitative (precision) and quantitative (distance) measure in one single unit. NO OTHER SYSTEM does that.

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
Old January 18th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Brigader
Dwayne Hoover

Spock is infamous around these partsSpock is infamous around these partsSpock is infamous around these partsSpock is infamous around these partsSpock is infamous around these partsSpock is infamous around these partsSpock is infamous around these partsSpock is infamous around these partsSpock is infamous around these partsSpock is infamous around these partsSpock is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to Spock

Congrats to Weedy for being the first to express what counting in base 12 would be. That's not to say to others, like Shotgun, didn't get it already.

Look, learn to do math in your head. Flying, I'm always figuring airspeed and fuel burn and time to the next waypoint. If it agrees with my flight plan, I'm happy. If not figure out why before you are dead.

Look, official weather temps are goven in C, but most planes have performance charts in F. It's so easy to convert, exactly in your head. Take C double it, then subtract 10% then add 32. Reverse to go the other direction. If you can't double/half in your head, get 10%, and add/subtract two numbers less than 100, you are stupid.

Now in school, the joke was the something is always given in the worst units, such as a speed in furlongs per fortnight.

Double points to anyone that's knows the computer OS that has a tunable kernel parameter expressed in micro-fortnights.

CAPE III - Team Galactic
CAPE IV - Team Pantheon
CAPE V - Team Elemental & Team Milk Carton
CAPE VI - Team Grapestomper
CAPE VII - Team Altitude
Old January 18th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Talking Book of Dreams
Short Person... No reason to live

Knastratt is infamous around these partsKnastratt is infamous around these partsKnastratt is infamous around these partsKnastratt is infamous around these partsKnastratt is infamous around these partsKnastratt is infamous around these partsKnastratt is infamous around these partsKnastratt is infamous around these partsKnastratt is infamous around these partsKnastratt is infamous around these partsKnastratt is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post
I'm always a bit underwhelmed by cultures which still use parts of the human anatomy to measure things.

Mac
That's a stiff one.
Old January 18th, 2012, 03:52 AM
Annie Lennox Lewis
Expensive Boat Anchor

John Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these partsJohn Eppstein is infamous around these parts

Can somebody please tell me what 50MPH translates to in furlongs per fortnight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
Old January 18th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Master Debater
Expensive Boat Anchor

nobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these parts

I saw a couple of dumbasses crossing over into Canada.

They got past the border and proceeded to drive 100MPH.

The clearly posted speed limit was 100km/h.

I remember thinking to myself, do they really not know the difference or do they think ignorance will prove to be a valid excuse when the cops tell them that their cars' speedometers show km/h as well as mph?

CMIIW = "Correct Me If I'm Wrong"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. casino View Post
Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
A great engineer can make shit sound like gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
Old January 18th, 2012, 05:38 AM
Moon Shadow Dancer
Shameless self-promoter

G. Hoffman is infamous around these partsG. Hoffman is infamous around these partsG. Hoffman is infamous around these partsG. Hoffman is infamous around these partsG. Hoffman is infamous around these partsG. Hoffman is infamous around these partsG. Hoffman is infamous around these partsG. Hoffman is infamous around these partsG. Hoffman is infamous around these partsG. Hoffman is infamous around these partsG. Hoffman is infamous around these parts

1mm is just a bit too big, and 0.5mm is too small to see. 1/32" is perfect for me - I can see the lines fine, and they are precise enough for most things.

That's why I don't use the metric system, most of the time.

Gabriel

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

Quote:
The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit!!
Richard Pryor
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Junior assistant coffee maker trainee
ACME recording engineer...just add water.

Le chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these parts

You're splitting hairs...
;-)
Old January 18th, 2012, 09:55 AM
SoundBlaster™ Expert
Sting's less famous twin

MacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoz View Post
...the carpenter's RCH is the most elegant...
I think the carpenter's Karen is the most elegant one, but that's of course a matter of personal taste.

Mac

Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
but how good you are at your worst.

Creating complex solutions is easy.

Old January 18th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Brigader
Fool's Goldsmith

clicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these partsclicktrack is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to clicktrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagan View Post
Oh, goody, this one will go for weeks, I see.
Yep.

You can blame me as the asshole who started the whole thing off

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoz View Post
I still say that the carpenter's RCH is the most elegant and intrinsically CORRECT measurement ever invented.

In that it embodies both qualitative (precision) and quantitative (distance) measure in one single unit. NO OTHER SYSTEM does that.

A-FUCKING-MEN. The smallest unit of measurement known to man, and, its second smallest, the CH, are infinitely more accurate than anything else we have used to measure with. Well done for adding that into the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le chef View Post
You're splitting hairs...
;-)
Exactly.

Check out Click Track Audio on Facebook