Mixerman Radio Show Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell Radio CAPE The Best of Charles Dye Aadry's and Dwoz's Rotation Station
Mixerman's Diaries
Occupy by when?!?!, it's CAPE 10? I'm not ready!!!!!! Zen & Tao of Producing w/The Saint! Zen & Tao of Producing w/Ken Scott! Zen, The Blood Red Vampire Forum, Mwahahahaha!!!

Go Back   The Womb > The Womb Forums > The Mixerman, Slipperman, and Aardvark Show

The Mixerman, Slipperman, and Aardvark Show Mixerman, Slipperman, and Aardvark host the forum versions of their "radio" show.

Old April 13th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Womb Legend!
Expensive Boat Anchor

Bob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Ethan Winer in TapeOp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
...It is dreary and bleak here in Berlin and frankly... the women are not so hot compared to most other metropolitan areas and I suggested to someone that the reason Les German were always invading Poland was to stock up on cute girls..
That certainly isn't what I've been hearing! Are you sure you don't just want to minimize your competition?
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
Old April 13th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Man from Glad understudy
Burma Shaver

HalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Wrong by 180 degrees.

Mr. Crane's infraction is for shameless sucking up to Mixerperson when we all know he probably privately dismisses him like the rest of us.

Mr. Crane came very close to a similar infraction for sucking up to Weedy with the ever popular Steely Dan bashing... the guy was really pushing it there for a post or two.

Ah! Sucking up no is good. In zat case, you 'ave my compliments.

Say hi to the German ladies for me will ya?

Gute Fahrt! (that does NOT mean "have a good fart" just in case you're wondering)

Cape 7 Team Mindbenders - Lead Vox

Old April 13th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Has Many Personal Intergritys
Expensive Boat Anchor

weedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
That certainly isn't what I've been hearing! Are you sure you don't just want to minimize your competition?
exactly.
that's a disinformation campaign... like pretending he thinks Steely Dan is good recording.
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Martini Drinker
Internet Meme

dwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these parts

note to aardy...

"Gunther" is not a woman's name.

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh.
Was once married to Larry King

Oberlehrer is infamous around these partsOberlehrer is infamous around these partsOberlehrer is infamous around these partsOberlehrer is infamous around these partsOberlehrer is infamous around these partsOberlehrer is infamous around these partsOberlehrer is infamous around these partsOberlehrer is infamous around these partsOberlehrer is infamous around these partsOberlehrer is infamous around these partsOberlehrer is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoz View Post
note to aardy...

...but "Gunda" is. Depending on the dialect this can be hard to tell apart so he *might* get lucky...

(On the other hand, people with names like "Klaus-Peter", "Karl-Heinz" or "Klaus-Dieter" are best avoided when looking for certain kinds of adventure.)
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Junior assistant coffee maker trainee
ACME recording engineer...just add water.

Le chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these parts

Old April 13th, 2012, 11:18 PM
SoundBlasterô Expert
Regular person but for the extra nipple

MacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these partsMacGregor is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberlehrer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoz View Post
note to aardy...

...but "Gunda" is. Depending on the dialect this can be hard to tell apart so he *might* get lucky...
Let me visualize this for Aardy, just to be on the safe side:

Gunda:

Gunther:

Mac

Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
but how good you are at your worst.

Creating complex solutions is easy.

Old April 13th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Martini Drinker
Merv Griffen re-run collector

Mixerman has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Mixerman

Here's a great piece by Allen Farmelo in his Tape Op blog. He seems to take issue with Ethan's heralding of straight A/Bing.

I wrote a response, of course.

Enjoy,

Mixerman
Old April 14th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Martini Drinker
Merv Griffen re-run collector

Mixerman has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Mixerman

Here is my response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixerman on Tape Op Blog
Thank you Allen for this blog post.

I've explained this concept to Ethan many times on the Internet.

When evaluating sound, you must take into account emotional impact, and you canít evaluate emotional impact by flip, flip, flipping back and forth between two audio files (which is exactly what they become, nothing but audio files). Our brains arenít geared to evaluate sound (or any other external information for that matter) without an emotional component. This is especially so with music, which is a medium of expression. When you flip back and forth, the music is irrelevant, hence the term ďaudio files.Ē When youíre recording music, the sound and the performance are inextricably attached. They go hand and hand. You canít evaluate sound as sound alone. Itís how the sound works in the context of the music that offers us some useful basis of comparison.

Itís also nearly impossible to make comparisons when you donít have a stake in the product. I can hear insanely subtle details due to my twenty-plus years of making records, but if you hand me a song I donít know or donít like, those differences wonít matter to me, and therefore I will struggle to hear them. I have no stake and therefore Iím not being affected emotionally. Sonic differences in that context are irrelevant. We canít discount the brain in all of this.

As producers and engineers we automatically have a stake in the product we make. Weíre usually so intimately familiar with the work that subtle changes in how a track makes us feel are noticed instantly. This explains why professional record-makers cringe when we hear MP3s of our own work. We hear and feel exactly how the product is affected. We have the basis of comparison between our artistic intentions and the reality of an MP3. Ethan might be right about our lack of auditory memory in the abstract, but if you attach a song to that audio, our auditory memory becomes outstanding. If it didnít we wouldnít be able to sing back a melody we just heard.

A consumer who emotionally invests herself in a full resolution version of a song, given the same setting will recognize the poor quality of an MP3 version instantly. For the untrained ear (and even for the trained, really), a large percentage of the difference between the high-resolution track and the MP3 is felt rather than heard. Once there's an understanding (and memory) of the artistic intent, the MP3 then pales in comparison.

Back and forth A/Bs are fine for quick decisions within the context of the mix. There will be times when we evaluate audio purely as audio. The further along we get into the process, the more the music and emotion come into play, and thatís when the critical decisions are made.

I believe Michael Wagner once said that as record-makers ďwe manipulate emotions.Ē I would just add, sound is merely the canvas from which we achieve that goal.

Enjoy,

Mixerman
Old April 14th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I'm burning for you
Short-bus rider

Aardvark is infamous around these partsAardvark is infamous around these partsAardvark is infamous around these partsAardvark is infamous around these partsAardvark is infamous around these partsAardvark is infamous around these partsAardvark is infamous around these partsAardvark is infamous around these partsAardvark is infamous around these partsAardvark is infamous around these partsAardvark is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberlehrer View Post

(On the other hand, people with names like "Klaus-Peter", "Karl-Heinz" or "Klaus-Dieter" are best avoided when looking for certain kinds of adventure.)
This might explain all those six inch clits...

... there has been a slight upgrading of the girl report after last night's adventures in liquid based brain damage but we are still inclined to believe Poland was invaded for the girls.

Cheers,
Aardvark

Old April 14th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Man from Glad understudy
Landover Baptist Scholar

Keks is infamous around these partsKeks is infamous around these partsKeks is infamous around these partsKeks is infamous around these partsKeks is infamous around these partsKeks is infamous around these partsKeks is infamous around these partsKeks is infamous around these partsKeks is infamous around these partsKeks is infamous around these partsKeks is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post
Let me visualize this for Aardy, just to be on the safe side:

Gunda:

Gunther:

Mac
Wow, there Mac,

I'm dead sure you could not tell those two apart in a double blind A/B....

All the best,
the keks

The accordion - sometimes an instrument .... often just a bag pipe gone wrong.
(Immanuel)
Old April 14th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Voice like Marcel Marceau
Left handed polo player...not good.

steveschizoid currently in negotiationssteveschizoid currently in negotiationssteveschizoid currently in negotiationssteveschizoid currently in negotiationssteveschizoid currently in negotiationssteveschizoid currently in negotiationssteveschizoid currently in negotiationssteveschizoid currently in negotiationssteveschizoid currently in negotiationssteveschizoid currently in negotiationssteveschizoid currently in negotiations
Default Thomas Barefoot weighs in

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/good-...er-cheers.html
Old April 14th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Ex-Martini Drinker
Backhoe therapist

Wide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these partsWide-O is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keks View Post
I'm dead sure you could not tell those two apart in a double blind A/B....
Are you suggesting they'd NULL?
Old April 14th, 2012, 03:21 PM
A Boy Named Sussudio
Holy Ghostbuster

radiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide-O View Post
Are you suggesting they'd NULL?
***laughing my morning coffee through my nose***
"The tech sector is like a guy in a crowded prison cell, who finds a hand grenade, and sets it off, so that he'll have the entire cell to himself." - Dwoz
Old April 14th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Roadside Outcast Dept.
Group sex therapist

Tim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Halligan
Default Re: Thomas Barefoot weighs in

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschizoid View Post
Please tell me Thomas Barefoot is being sarcastic there...

Cheers,
Tim

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
Old April 14th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Court of The Crimson King of The Road
Swears by ADATs... not at

eagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these partseagan is infamous around these parts

Who is this A. Bing character, and how did he get dragged into this, anyway?

JLE

"I've suffered for my music, and now it's your turn"-Neil Innes

"I am amazed every single day how so many think that you have to constantly DO things to engineer properly. In fact, you do as little as possible, and then only the things required. The trick is in knowing what is actually required."-Terry Manning

"WE'RE ALL VILLAGE IDIOTS AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER. "-der Schlippermensch

Facebook me!
blah, blah, blah
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Junior assistant coffee maker trainee
ACME recording engineer...just add water.

Le chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these partsLe chef is infamous around these parts

Wooa! Man, did I just lost respect for Mr. Barefoot...
Luckily ATC and PMC are still building monitors.

I guess this has more do with political gs clown-assfuckery to sell gear than anything else but even then... Hard to get over that one! :(
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Martini Drinker
Internet Meme

dwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these parts

mixerman, I wrote a response to Ethan's response to your response:

Quote:
Sat, Apr.14.2012 - dwoz wrote:
we can all agree to disagree about what is important.

I have a little aphorism I spout now and again...that most people listen to music, while audiophiles listen to sound systems.

What this means, of course, is that there is simply not a single objective standard for "quality." And a particular person will apply different objective standards of quality in different situations.

i.e. "context matters."

In illustration of Mixerman's point, I reminisce about a recording situation I was in once, where an instrumental part I had contributed was not, shall we say, exactly ripping the socks and panties off the listeners. I listened to the candidate mix they were discussing and though it sounded quite "ok" and well-constructed and "good..." they were right. It was NIGHT AND DAY difference to the scratch mix I had checked my part with. Turns out the instrumental part I had contributed had been flown into the mix a mere handful of millis late-to-clock.

Just a handful of milliseconds. It utterly torpedoed the emotional impact of the part, though of course you'd be hard-pressed to argue that such a minor timing difference was discernable in an A/B test. (it isn't).

Additionally, the mixer had made a small EQ change to the part, which served to move it out of the sonic space of a second part, but which eliminated the "alike-ness" of that frequency spectra with a third, rhythmic part, which disassociated the two parts and made them less cohesive. A/B of the two versions simply did not reveal this, though I, the person most invested in the part, most certainly missed it, like I'm miss my car that was stolen out of the supermarket parking lot when I came out with my bag of milk and eggs.

What does this mean? That A/B testing CAN simply have zero relevance in the context of the production of master recordings, and in fact may OFTEN have zero relevance in that context.

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Man from Glad understudy
Burma Shaver

HalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these partsHalfBlood is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixerman View Post
Here's a great piece by Allen Farmelo in his Tape Op blog. He seems to take issue with Ethan's heralding of straight A/Bing.

I wrote a response, of course.

Enjoy,

Mixerman

The coffee analogy is a pretty good one. But I'll avoid the usual parochialist muppet show we sometimes like to enact over here and shan't talk about coffee.

I did want to note, however, that the content of Farmelo's article is very similar in some points to an article I read by Mr. "Golden Ears" Moulton. Here it is:

http://www.moultonlabs.com/more/so_w...tal_anyway/P0/

Cape 7 Team Mindbenders - Lead Vox

Old April 16th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Craves piCklEmiLk
Owns a Nappy Headed Hose

Waltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these partsWaltz Mastering is infamous around these parts

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/7785490-post1.html

Quote:
I really really do not want to be doing this. Unfortunately I have to.
A good friend and colleague is being unfairly treated here.

I have quietly appealed for a reasonable solution from our moderator Jay.
I have waited. I strongly suspect he has been overruled.

Now Ethan has been informed by Jules that he is fully banned from GS forever.

So, I am compelled to stand by my friend.

I will not post here again until this is resolved. Furthermore I am considering gradually removing all posts.

I appeal to our other friends, (you know who you are) , to join in this 'Strike', and to announce your intentions here.
No-one should be left to stand alone in the face of such bullying.

With Regret, DD

Tags
asshole certificate, ethan is kinda cute, ethan winer, fecal press sounds painful, focal press, get mad theory a whambulance fast