Mixerman Radio Show Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell Radio CAPE The Best of Charles Dye Aadry's and Dwoz's Rotation Station
Mixerman's Diaries
Occupy by when?!?!, it's CAPE 10? I'm not ready!!!!!! Zen & Tao of Producing w/The Saint! Zen & Tao of Producing w/Ken Scott! Zen, The Blood Red Vampire Forum, Mwahahahaha!!!

Go Back   The Womb > The Womb Forums > Womb University

Womb University Recording, Mixing, and Production Made Easy

Old March 9th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Brigader
Faded European 'B' actor

Chris Lambrechts is infamous around these partsChris Lambrechts is infamous around these partsChris Lambrechts is infamous around these partsChris Lambrechts is infamous around these partsChris Lambrechts is infamous around these partsChris Lambrechts is infamous around these partsChris Lambrechts is infamous around these partsChris Lambrechts is infamous around these partsChris Lambrechts is infamous around these partsChris Lambrechts is infamous around these partsChris Lambrechts is infamous around these parts
Default Drummer's perspective

I was listening to one of the radio thingies the other day, can't remember which one but I think it was Slipperman who got into talking about drummer's perspective.

Basically because I was a lousy drummer and I couldn't impose myself as such on whatever it was the band was doing - although I still definitely blame the bassplayer for that - I tend to take revenge in my mixes and allow the drummer to be the center of the universe : Drummer's perspective.

Opinions ?

Chris
Old March 9th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Quantum Psychic
Passed out in public restroom

Molly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drummer's perspective

I prefer the drummer's perspective, too. Hi-hats on the right bugs me so much that sometimes I'll switch my headphones around when I'm listening to certain music. I think with the way most drums are panned/mixed it's unrealistic as an audience perspective. If you're in the audience, the hats aren't going to sound like they're 30ft to the right of you and the ride 30ft to the left, unless of course it's stretch armstrong drumming. I have to imagine it's still drummer's perspective, but it's a left handed kit for it to make sense.
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Once did Lady Di on a bet
Broke like Joe Thiesman's leg

lebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these parts

Well I'm one of those people making annoying audience perspective recordings. I agree its unrealistic the way we often pan hi-hats...but as that recent post on hi-hat micing suggests...maybe most of the time we dont need the hh mic anyway!
I dont see how having the hh on the left rather tan the right can be annoying. It doesnt annoy me when its on the left.
I suppose its all a matter of taste...other peoples choice of panning can prob be annoying on all instruments if as a professional it is not to your taste.
I was under the impression that US was hh left and UK hh right generally...not sure if thats true.
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Quantum Psychic

Molly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond reputeMolly's Lips has a reputation beyond repute

I think you listen a lot differently if you play, or have once played the drums with any regularity.
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Roadside Outcast Dept.
Wanton Hussy

Tim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these partsTim Halligan is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Halligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebouche View Post
I was under the impression that US was hh left and UK hh right generally...not sure if thats true.

Well...the US is Left Hand Drive, and the UK is Right Hand Drive...so if the drummers visited each other's country, neither will know which side of the road is for tailgating...and which side is for head-on collisions.

Does that help?

Cheers,
Tim

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:38 AM

lebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly's Lips View Post
I think you listen a lot differently if you play, or have once played the drums with any regularity.
I love playing..although I'm lousy due to lack of learning. When a kit is set up in the booth I often stay late to attack my ears.
I'm a lefty though and have tried hh on both sides.
I guess if you play a lot then it prob bugs you more.
Does it bug you when you are up close to a band at a gig...prob not cos the drums are not hard panned.

Quote:
Well...the US is Left Hand Drive, and the UK is Right Hand Drive...so if the drummers visited each other's country, neither will know which side of the road is for tailgating...and which side is for head-on collisions.

Thats really helpful Tim
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Brigader
Expensive Boat Anchor

otek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these partsotek is infamous around these parts

I think it's a matter of habit. Of course, the drummer's perspective thing will be thrown off instantly when you mix a southpaw.

I just like my hihat to the left. Can't really say why.

Whether we choose to mic the hat or not is irrelevant, so long as we're using stereo overheads the hihat will end up somewhat to either side..... unless we try and center it by way of mic placement (which will likely put the kick and snare in very weird places).

otek
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Hates these rank titles!
Ends jokes with… That's what she said

con mucho gusto currently in negotiationscon mucho gusto currently in negotiationscon mucho gusto currently in negotiationscon mucho gusto currently in negotiationscon mucho gusto currently in negotiationscon mucho gusto currently in negotiationscon mucho gusto currently in negotiationscon mucho gusto currently in negotiationscon mucho gusto currently in negotiationscon mucho gusto currently in negotiationscon mucho gusto currently in negotiations

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebouche View Post
I dont see how having the hh on the left rather tan the right can be annoying. It doesnt annoy me when its on the left.
I suppose its all a matter of taste...other peoples choice of panning can prob be annoying on all instruments if as a professional it is not to your taste.
yeah...i agree. who the fuck really cares. i figure if you're mixing a live record and want to acurately paint the picture, than this is the only time it matters. That said, if you want to make the drummer the center of the universe, go for it.

i'll sometimes put the whole drum set on one side. fuck it. it's music. Sometime's it's nice to live in a fantasy world.
Old March 9th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Quantum Psychic

Have you guys found that people's being left-handed or right-handed influences their panning preferences? Maybe it's a subconscious, instinctual sort of thing where you're more comfortable with certain sounds on a certain side of you, like if you have to fight it you can square up more easily...

Admittedly, I have a skewed perception of the stereo image because one of my ears sticks out more than the other.
Old March 9th, 2007, 05:59 AM

Is it the left ear or the right ear??
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Happy Roman... Gladiator

Johnny is infamous around these partsJohnny is infamous around these partsJohnny is infamous around these partsJohnny is infamous around these partsJohnny is infamous around these partsJohnny is infamous around these partsJohnny is infamous around these partsJohnny is infamous around these partsJohnny is infamous around these partsJohnny is infamous around these partsJohnny is infamous around these parts
Send a message via AIM to Johnny Send a message via Skype™ to Johnny

It doesn't matter; there's no room or drumkit in the universe that sounds like a close miked set. A true drummer's perspective would put the kick and toms off slightly to the right (for a traditional setup).

Throw in a freaky setup like mine and all bets are off anyway.

You can't take the sky from me.
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Has Many Personal Intergritys
Expensive Boat Anchor

weedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these partsweedywet is infamous around these parts

I always do audience perspective.

and, for the record (no pun), nothing says you HAVE to pan or assign things into superwide 'unnatural' positions in EITHER perspective.
So I don't get the HH argument.

Recently I made a record with a left handed drummer and had a real existential dilemna trying to decide whether to do true audience perspective, knowing that to most listeners it would appear as just a right handed drummer's perspective!

Ultimately I stayed true to my principles and did audience perspective.
Meaning it's reversed, but still as you look at the front of the kit.

Last edited by weedywet; March 9th, 2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Posse
Ann Coulter's Adams Apple

malice is infamous around these partsmalice is infamous around these partsmalice is infamous around these partsmalice is infamous around these partsmalice is infamous around these partsmalice is infamous around these partsmalice is infamous around these partsmalice is infamous around these partsmalice is infamous around these partsmalice is infamous around these partsmalice is infamous around these parts

I do audience perspective.

But when the drummer ask me for a cdr, I discretly swap left and right to avoid silly discussions.

malice

B.Ohlson, oct 2012
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Hot Rats Greatest Hits
Loves Jules and The Polar Bears

PRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these partsPRobb is infamous around these parts

Ultimately. it doesn't matter. I figure half the world has their hi-fi wired backward anyway.

But I was taught drummer's perspective, so that's what sounds right to me. I justify by saying hi to lo tom fills go left to right, like reading. Maybe if I were Israeli, I would do it the other way.
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:20 AM
The Real Mixerman
Spend years studying Twisted Sister's chord structure

Trazan is infamous around these partsTrazan is infamous around these partsTrazan is infamous around these partsTrazan is infamous around these partsTrazan is infamous around these partsTrazan is infamous around these partsTrazan is infamous around these partsTrazan is infamous around these partsTrazan is infamous around these partsTrazan is infamous around these partsTrazan is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to Trazan

Depends on what's in there to balance the mix, but I seem to pan most instruments from the musicians perspective. I sorta like to "be" the musician when I'm diving into the mix, especially when I'm editing.

If anyone has a problem with that, it's not like flipping L-R is hard to do these days
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Martini Drinker
Merv Griffen re-run collector

Mixerman has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Mixerman

I do audience perspective for left handed drummers. And drummer perspective for right handed drummers.

Call me crazy.

Mixerman
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Little River Band on The Run
Internet Meme

Brendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiations
Send a message via MSN to Brendo Send a message via Yahoo to Brendo Send a message via Skype™ to Brendo

Every time I've heard a drumkit in a room, it's been basically mono.

I thought most of you guys were part of the "it's an instrument, not a collection of instruments" movement.

You don't see people micing each string of the guitar and panning them hard left to right?

So I do drummer's perspective, so I don't have to air-drum lefthanded.
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Vagisil Inspector
Bovine Custodial Officer

Skwaidu is infamous around these partsSkwaidu is infamous around these partsSkwaidu is infamous around these partsSkwaidu is infamous around these partsSkwaidu is infamous around these partsSkwaidu is infamous around these partsSkwaidu is infamous around these partsSkwaidu is infamous around these partsSkwaidu is infamous around these partsSkwaidu is infamous around these partsSkwaidu is infamous around these parts

Drummer's perspective. Air tom fills!

(And I actually also have the funny thing of having a HF dip in my right ear; I like to keep the Hh better in check by having it mostly somewhere between L and C... Thoguh with this logic I should mix a ride- heavy tune with audience perspective? Nah... :P )
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:31 PM
wardrobe malfunction investigator
Oh! "Mock Chicken" joke was about metric system!

red tape is on a distinguished road

I don't understand how folks can get so worked up about this
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi
Slippy's codpiece...ewwww.

Mundox has a reputation beyond reputeMundox has a reputation beyond reputeMundox has a reputation beyond reputeMundox has a reputation beyond reputeMundox has a reputation beyond reputeMundox has a reputation beyond reputeMundox has a reputation beyond reputeMundox has a reputation beyond reputeMundox has a reputation beyond reputeMundox has a reputation beyond reputeMundox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazan View Post
If anyone has a problem with that, it's not like flipping L-R is hard to do these days
Interesting. Cause I can't stand listening to my mixes if L-R is swapped. Just sounds different.

Auto gain riding for ProTools
http://www.automaticmixing.com