Mixerman Radio Show Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell Radio CAPE The Best of Charles Dye Aadry's and Dwoz's Rotation Station
Mixerman's Diaries
Occupy by when?!?!, it's CAPE 10? I'm not ready!!!!!! Zen & Tao of Producing w/The Saint! Zen & Tao of Producing w/Ken Scott! Zen, The Blood Red Vampire Forum, Mwahahahaha!!!

Go Back   The Womb > The Womb Forums > Zen and the Art of Mixing

Zen and the Art of Mixing Advanced mixing techniques

Old March 21st, 2007, 06:01 AM
Loudness War Vet
Nude Busker

Charles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these parts
Default Bum Rush the Charts – March 22

Bum Rush the Charts is a grassroots effort to put an independent artist in the #1 slot on iTunes this Thur, March 22. It's centered on podcasting, but highly applicable to all of us + our independent music centicity.

http://bumrushthecharts.blogspot.com/

Please check out the link + tell me what you guyz think.

I know I'll be buying the song... it's gonna cost me a whole 99.

I heard this on my fave recording podcast, the Project Studio Network

Big Al + Mike your show ROX!!

"Digital banjos sound just as bad to me as analog ones." -Pimp-X
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:15 PM
Bovine Scatologist
Dwayne Hoover

jord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these parts
Send a message via AIM to jord Send a message via Skype™ to jord
Sushi Re: Bum Rush the Charts

I heard this on a few podcasts and I'm in. It's definitely time to send a message to the major labels and if my 99c makes a difference, so be it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sort of tired of the musical diet of no-talent sugar-coated shit and pop-tarts on the charts.

jord
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:21 PM
Once did Lady Di on a bet
Broke like Joe Thiesman's leg

lebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Bum Rush the Charts

I think they already have the message. They are getting smaller and smaller and can't afford enough staff to manage their artist rosters anymore.
So who decided to make this band number 1 Charles?? Can't it be my band?? Oh...I don't have one. What I mean is are we just going to end up with internet mooks deciding who we get fed.
How come we are only being given one choice?? I'd rather be offered a dozen and be asked to do the same thing.
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:42 PM
Little River Band on The Run
Internet Meme

Brendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiationsBrendo currently in negotiations
Send a message via MSN to Brendo Send a message via Yahoo to Brendo Send a message via Skype™ to Brendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebouche View Post
I'd rather be offered a dozen and be asked to do the same thing.
but then that defeats the purpose, because then theres much less chance of getting a #1.
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:53 PM

lebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these partslebouche is infamous around these parts

So if it does'nt deserve to go to number one don't put it there.
I don't see the point...maybe someone could explain in more detail what this is going to achieve
I get that the band has been dropped twice but I dont see how this is going to make podcasts big. Maybe its good marketing for this medium.
P.S Simon Cowell has just had an onsuite bathroom put in his office at SonyBMG.

Last edited by lebouche; March 21st, 2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:02 PM

p.s. PSN does rock...I came across it on itunes.. a while ago.
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:04 PM
Bassist/struggling pizza boy!
Mook Breath

Empty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiations

+1

Definitely in.

Old March 21st, 2007, 02:09 PM
Bovine Scatologist
Dwayne Hoover

jord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these partsjord is infamous around these parts

Quote:
I think they already have the message. They are getting smaller and smaller and can't afford enough staff to manage their artist rosters anymore.
So who decided to make this band number 1 Charles?? Can't it be my band?? Oh...I don't have one. What I mean is are we just going to end up with internet mooks deciding who we get fed.
How come we are only being given one choice?? I'd rather be offered a dozen and be asked to do the same thing.
I think you miss the point of this whole thing. It's a case where everyone wins... except the major labels, who have taken advantage of the public for far too long. The band chosen is a very competent band and have been screwed twice by the major record labels.

It's not about making this particular band number 1. It's about displacing the major labels and hopefully forcing them to rethink as to why their sales are plummeting. And, no, they have not gotten the message. If they did, this wouldn't have to happen.

jord
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:13 PM

If people were buying records then they would'nt have to resort to selling guarenteed dros.
People arent buying records so they have to risk their capital on sure fire rubbish.
p.s. I'm in if you can convince me this is going to empower musicians.
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:25 PM
knows every handout in every town
Human Humidor

Dubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these parts

As well intentioned as this whole thing might be, I think it's a bit misguided. It is pretty clear that the days of major corporations being involved in the record industry, at least in the capacity that they have been for a while, are numbered. I doubt anyone is more aware of this than the corporations that own the current majors and the people working at said labels - I think, at this point, they're probably more concerned with getting water out of the sinking ship and deciding when to jump than about whether they should take more chances in thier signing choices. Plus, in a lot of ways, the independent artist/label has more tools at thier disposal to be able to maintain a successful business model than the majors do, so what's the point of wanting to join a club that's about to go broke and disband anyhow?

To me, this is sort of the equivelent of being driven in one's entire adult life by the need to "stick it" to the more popular schoolyard bully of your youth. Eventually you're going to meet that bully at some sort of reunion and realize that you've focused all your energy on trumping a guy that now has a shitty job, lives in a trailer and is working on his third divorce.

Instead of focusing on the majors in sort of a "Notice me daddy!" type way, why not focus on the fact that the music industry of the future will be and is being defined by the little labels and independent artists. The music industry of the future is likely to be closer to the days of pre-corporate involvement than anything else - a small independent business model with a lot of competition. Any artist still looking for a pie in the sky success or someone to blame for the lack thereof, is missing the point and some great opportunities to help define the future.
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:29 PM
Bovine Scatologist
Dwayne Hoover

Heck, if you like what you're hearing on the radio, don't do anything. No one's strongarming you.

It's not about empowering musicians. The Internet is already doing that. The major labels aren't willing to grasp a new model, though. And putting out formulaic patterned garbage is not the way to boost sales.

jord
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:52 PM
Human Humidor

Dubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these partsDubnick is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jord View Post
Heck, if you like what you're hearing on the radio, don't do anything. No one's strongarming you.

It's not about empowering musicians. The Internet is already doing that. The major labels aren't willing to grasp a new model, though. And putting out formulaic patterned garbage is not the way to boost sales.

jord
Well, the good/bad news is, regular teresterial radio is also losing power at incredible rate too (see CBS/Infinity/Viacom's) steep ratings decline since Stern left - Joel Hollander just had to step down. iPod, satellite and internet are clearly where the future is going. So again, why clamor to be part of an industry on such a steep decline when there is so much to be done to build the infustructure of the future. Personally, since getting Sirius, I only turn on the regular radio to listen to Fresh Air or This American Life on NPR occasionally (now available as podcasts too - that should tell you something about where this is all headed) and I haven't listened to regular radio for music in years. Even when I did listen to regular radio, it was only for Howard Stern or NPR's talk/news content. Radio is in a little bit better shape than the music-delivery-system-industry, but not by a lot. I'm supportive of independent music and if I like the track, I'll buy it, but sending a message to the market via falsely pumping up percieved demand helps no one - a large part of the problems with major record companies is due in part to thier own efforts to do so.
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:10 PM

What he said...
I don't and never have really listened to radio...I listen to net radio but never did the mainstream radio thing. Just like I don't buy CD's that I'm going to hear in every shop/movie/cafe/bar/freinds house... like Jack Johnson for example. I dont need to own the music cos I hear it evreywhere...so over exposure is kind of losing that artist a sale. Whereas records like Grace have steadily sold by recommendation and word of mouth over a period of years. Ok I've forgotten what my point is...maybe I don't have one but the Labels are aware as Dubnick said. What would you do in their shoes?? Personally I'd ask them to buy less fresh fruit and ditch the private Jets..(I think Sony have 3)
spend less on chairs (they spend 2g on nearly every office chair)
fuck off with their glass office divisions and stop playing musical chairs and refurbing every 2 months.
Also I'd ask them to not buy suckyuppy gifts for artists...oh and also to turn their electrics off at night. That'd save enough mula for a few new acts. Wait it keeps coming..they could stop paying the big cheezes millions of pounds per year...and giant settlements when they fire them ...perhaps they could afford a workforce then.
Over rant out
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:16 PM
Bovine Scatologist
Dwayne Hoover

It's not about the radio as well.

Again, if you don't believe in it, that's your right. I believe that it will send a message and I'll be taking part in it. Again, if the labels were aware, then this wouldn't need to happen.

jord
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:21 PM

How are the labels not aware Jord??
The fastest growing departments in my recent experience were the new media depts.
If there are records to be sold surely they are on it...if this isnt about a biz model and is about MUSIC then I understand. But if it is about business then you can be sure they are looking at every possibility.
What better message could they have had than in the past few years when the bottom of their industry dropped out.
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:22 PM
Bassist/struggling pizza boy!
Mook Breath

Empty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiationsEmpty Planet currently in negotiations

Yes, it's quixotic.

I'm still in.

Old March 21st, 2007, 03:53 PM
Bovine Scatologist
Dwayne Hoover

Quote:
How are the labels not aware Jord??
The fastest growing departments in my recent experience were the new media depts.
If there are records to be sold surely they are on it...if this isnt about a biz model and is about MUSIC then I understand. But if it is about business then you can be sure they are looking at every possibility.
What better message could they have had than in the past few years when the bottom of their industry dropped out.
YOU THINK?!!?

Of course they are forming new media departments. I could have told you this... I'm one of the new media developers behind a couple of major companies. And, dealing with these companies first hand, I can still tell you that they don't get it. They are only creating these departments as a form of catch-up. They are running scared because despite all of the answers in front of them, they refuse to see them. They are relying on selling CD's still. They don't consider Internet sales of individual tunes as seriously as physical media. They will do whatever they can to promote CD's. To them, it's a tangible item. I can tell you first hand that they are not looking at every possibility. They are holding on tight to an old business model that is bottoming out. You'd think that this would be evident in the way they are bullying their longtime customers.

And, part of their decaying business involves the music that they are promoting and what great lengths they are going through to promote the crap that they are putting on CD's, to put it on commercial radio.

And, yes, Satellite Radio is gaining ground. Otherwise, the major labels wouldn't be trying to sue them as well as their customers. They are trying to make excuses and shift the blame from themselves, thus denying that a problem exists.

If you have hard facts telling me that my first hand experience dealing with these companies and their "new media departments" is nothing more than a false reality, I'd be happy to hear them.

jord
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:54 PM
Human Humidor

I think this is very well intentioned, but that it is less than likely to have any effect on the music industry as a whole than it will on the sales of one artist chosen for the project. Unfortunately, I think a lot of folks have a huge misconception of the way things work, in large part due to a sort of fairy tale built up over the years majors' very own hype machines, which is unfortunate, because a lot of awesome people with great intentions are missing out on thier opportunity to really rebuild this industry as the small business model it was always made to be, allowing artists to retain control, integrity and make an actual living. Instead, a lot of great folks are wasting thier time and energy trying to convince dinasours (sp) that they should let us come in and save them from extinction.

I would suggest that anyone interested in how & why the major label system has been doomed for long while before filesharing came into play (filesharing has done sever damage, but it is the straw that is breaking the camels back - the last thing to tip the scale) read the following books:

Off The Charts - Bruce Haring (Best overview of how they got where they are - written a while ago)

All You Need To Know About The Music Business - Donald Passman

Hit Men - Frederic Dannen

Stiffed - William Knoedelseder (a little too conspiritorial at the end, but a good resource none the less - covers a lot of the same ground as Hit Men)

If you are interested in helping build the new music industry, these have great insights:

The Tipping Point - Malcom Gladwell

Blink - Malcom Gladwell

All You Need To Know About The Music Business (invaluable asset book for anyone involved in the music business in any capacity)

By all means, I'll check out the track and might even participate, because intentions are important and I do believe this to be a well intentioned endevour. I guess my main point is that, as much as intention matters, uninformed or misinformed actions can be not just inneffective, but countereffective and even damaging to one's noble cause. This in some ways is an extremely exciting time for the little guys in music, but I'm afraid a lot of us will miss out by focusing on a ship that has not only already sailed, but is on the verge of sinking. Sorry for the long post and the spelling.
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:57 PM
Human Humidor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet View Post
Yes, it's quixotic.

I'm still in.

Holy awesome vocabulary Batman! I had to look that up
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:01 PM
Loudness War Vet
Nude Busker

Charles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these partsCharles Dye is infamous around these parts

Quote:
I don't see the point...maybe someone could explain in more detail what this is going to achieve
I get that the band has been dropped twice but I dont see how this is going to make podcasts big.
This is grass roots on steroids.

It makes two very worthy statements in one act.

1. It demonstrates that independent artists can succeed without the big dollars of the major labels.

2. It demonstrates the power of podcasting as a valid media outlet.

Two great messages to send.

Aside from that, the song "Mine Again" by black lab is a really beautiful song that IMO deserves the #1 slot on iTunes if only for a day.

Check it out on black lab's myspace page. 4th song.

BTW, I don't know these guyz from Adam + have zero vested interests in their success or failure. I'm just supporting this for the 2 reasons stated above.

Best,
Charles

"Digital banjos sound just as bad to me as analog ones." -Pimp-X