Mixerman Radio Show Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell Radio CAPE The Best of Charles Dye Aadry's and Dwoz's Rotation Station
Mixerman's Diaries
Occupy by when?!?!, it's CAPE 10? I'm not ready!!!!!! Zen & Tao of Producing w/The Saint! Zen & Tao of Producing w/Ken Scott! Zen, The Blood Red Vampire Forum, Mwahahahaha!!!

Go Back   The Womb > The Womb Network > The Sounding Board

The Sounding Board song and mix critique forum

Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Failed snuff radio producer
Cock like a KM 84

gonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these parts
Default "Pura Vida"

"Pura Vida"

a love song.

http://iacmusic.com/songs.aspx?SongI...ArtistID=30211

or

http://tinyurl.com/2wwghg
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Junior assistant coffee maker trainee
Waves at squirrels

dikledoux is infamous around these partsdikledoux is infamous around these partsdikledoux is infamous around these partsdikledoux is infamous around these partsdikledoux is infamous around these partsdikledoux is infamous around these partsdikledoux is infamous around these partsdikledoux is infamous around these partsdikledoux is infamous around these partsdikledoux is infamous around these partsdikledoux is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to dikledoux
Default Re: "Pura Vida"

I don't wanna like this song. I'm normally turned off by show-y guitar parts and songs that are a show-case for show-y parts. This song fits that broad category...

But I like it anyway. You've turned me around. Nice mix. Good sounds, and the flashy guitar stuff stays interesting enough while - and this is important - staying within some indefineably appropriate context for the song. I guess it's because there's such a nice sense of touch that comes from the guitar parts so the atmosphere doesn't get lost.

cool.

dik
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Silly Rabbit
Favourite poet is F.X. Enderby

lambro is infamous around these partslambro is infamous around these partslambro is infamous around these partslambro is infamous around these partslambro is infamous around these partslambro is infamous around these partslambro is infamous around these partslambro is infamous around these partslambro is infamous around these partslambro is infamous around these partslambro is infamous around these parts

well, I like the vocals a lot, I would get them up in the mix more, loose the reverb on the bongos or at least tight that up, the bass could use a little focus and I would tighten the stereo spread on the guitar, it like you can hear the guitars too well if you know what I mean, but thats just me

The vocal phrasing was great, and the harmonies, a little Jon Anderson, CSN and Barton Tyler Group all rolled into one.
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Cock like a KM 84

gonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these partsgonzo-x is infamous around these parts

dikledoux
thanks for the review!

you know, i understand what you're saying..
about show-y guitar parts..
all i tried to do, was play it honest, without 'going there' on purpose.
i guess, my idea is always to try to get to the artistic side, without being too obvious or heavy handed.
that said, i've never really thought there was anything flashy about this song....
it's kinda plain.
but straight up....
glad you liked it.

lambro
i agree with you on the bass, i mixed this on the old roland vs1880, now i've got some different tools, that help me dial the bass in 'tighter' like you say..
so i may do one more pass on this one...
glad you liked it.
and thanks for listening!
Old February 19th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Cock like a KM 84

ok, so i figured i oughta bump this one....
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert
Faded European 'B' actor

Cosmic Pig is infamous around these partsCosmic Pig is infamous around these partsCosmic Pig is infamous around these partsCosmic Pig is infamous around these partsCosmic Pig is infamous around these partsCosmic Pig is infamous around these partsCosmic Pig is infamous around these partsCosmic Pig is infamous around these partsCosmic Pig is infamous around these partsCosmic Pig is infamous around these partsCosmic Pig is infamous around these parts

Great song Gonzo. Again I would have brought the vox up a hair. I might have played with the verbs some... you've got a mix of room and hall that doesn't gel together as well as it might.... the sense of place is a little confused. Some of the guitars sound in your face tight and some are at the back of the hall with the vox.

I'd try putting a small room on most everything including the vox then pulling out just a few things with the hall verb. Might not work but thats what I'd try.

Cos.
"The hellhounds are all embarrassed and bent because their claws were useless on the black ice that was forming over the Pit of Souls, and they slammed into the brimstone wall like a fat dumb black labrador retriever chasing a cookie across a polished parquet floor." ~ Dwoz
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Cock like a KM 84

thanks cosmic!
and yea, i'm starting to re-think my ideas about reverbs on individual tracks like that..
i almost think it'd sit better, if i bussed the rhythms thru a single reverb, and just mix it in as a return/send...